7. Being in her T.A.N.T.R.U.M

I came out of the college date and stretched. There were a huge number of students around me, either discussing their answers or just calculating the marks they needed to get promoted. I crossed them and reached the other side waiting for Sanyukta.

And the punctual her arrived exactly at time and took off her helmet.

"Exams over?"

"Yeah, finally." I sighed and she smiled.

"How was the paper? It was maths so must have been easy for you."

"Yeahh, kind of. I mean the paper was difficult but I have answered most of the questions so I don't really know." I said sitting behind her and putting on the helmet.

"Do you want ice cream?" She said starting her Phantom.

"Uhh sure. But it will be my treat."

"Nuh uh."

"Sanyukta, you can't do it all the time. My treat means my treat."

"Not happening."

"Ms. Sanyukta Aggarwal, I am telling you I will be the one paying for this time. You paid for the last time and the other time too and before that also." I was going on rambling when a black Mercedes crossed us and I couldn't help but admire it.

"What a beautiful car, isn't it?" I asked her as my eyes followed the car till it went out of sight.

When I didn't receive an answer I looked at her through the rear view mirror and her face looked blank. Again. She just looked in the direction where the car went with a stony expression.

"Sanyukta?" I tapped her shoulder as she looked as if in a trance.

Without a word she stopped her bike near a pavement and asked me to get off and she followed. "Drive Phantom today."

Confused I looked at her as she took off her helmet and handed it to me. Her face looked pale as if she had seen a ghost.

"What? Drive." And the dangerous look in her eyes was back and I followed without a word. I knew that now wasn't the time to ask any questions so I started the bike without any word.

Behind me Sanyukta took out her black RayBan and put them on covering her brown eyes and I knew for sure that they weren't there to block the sun.

We reached the apartment soon and I got off the bike.

I turned to greet her but she said bye before I can say it. Distracted she dragged her bike along with her to her apartment and I came up in my room hoping to see her through the window.

It had been 15 minutes since I stood at the window without moving even an inch but she hadn't reached to her room yet.

I decided to give her some space and also change my clothes. After some time I came back to the window to find her standing in her balcony with a lit cigarette in between her fingers.

Is she really going to smoke? After a month of being sober? She is going to loose all her self control just because she saw a Mercedes. What the hell is going on? I saw her like this after such a long time and I don't like this version of Sanyukta. She looks so far away, so indifferent, so unapproachable. All my efforts on her, making friends with her and everything just went down the drain. Just because of a god damn Mercedes. I don't even like that car now. Why did I have to show her that car? It's all my fault. Nothing good can happen in my life because of my stupidity. Ugghhh....

After this session of cursing myself, I noticed that she hadn't taken even a drag of that cigarette. In fact she looked a bit hesitant. Frustrated it seemed as if she cursed and stubbed the cigarette and threw it.