2.4

Wakey wakey, Upper East Siders. Welcome to the first day of senior year and the onset of a new social dynasty. The big question is, with Serena single and on top of the world will Constance become the house of van der Woodsen?

Today is the first day of senior year. Like always I start the day by myself. I grab a coffee on the way to school.

I sit on the steps in the courtyard with Is, Penelope, Nelly, and Blair. It's the first day of school meaning Blair is running through her lists of new prospects. She splits the girls from our school into two groups: projects and victims. I don't agree with how Blair treats people, but I also know anything I say won't stop her. Blair is just being Blair. High school is just a blip on the radar blink and it's all over. The only thing that matters from high school is your GPA, your SATs, and your extracurriculars.

Nelly hands Blair a file. "Melissa Murphy, junior."

Blair looks at the papers inside. "Let's see here. AP scores good. Decent charity work. Young Women of the American Ballet Theater. Season passes to the Knicks?"

"My dad's the team doctor," Melissa tells us.

"Where did you say you summered again?" Blair asks.

"The Adirondacks," Melissa states.

Blair makes a face as she closes the file. "We'll be in touch."

Kate Lenord is the next girl in the files. She stands in front of Blair ready to learn her fate.

Blair scoffs. "Are those last season's Tory Burch flats?"

"I..." Kate looks down at her shoes. "...got them on sale?" As Blair just stares at her Kate rushes off embarrassed.

Kelsey Williams is the last of Blair's prospects. "And my brother goes to Dalton. Lacrosse captain. Cute friends."

Blair looks her up and down. "Lunch. One sharp." Kelsey smiles as she walks off. "Every year the projects pile shrinks while the victims pile..."

"I blame the voucher system," Penelope says as she twirls her hair.

"Government doesn't even care," Is complains.

Chuck walks up and hands a file to Blair. "Last-minute transfer. Thought you should be up to date."

"Dates will not be my problem this year. Thanks to your little performance last week the Lord and I are better than ever. Now, if you'll excuse me..." Blair hands the file to Nelly. She stands up. "Arabella and I have to find Serena."

We find Serena in one of the hallways. Apparently she ran into Dan this morning and it didn't go well. Things have been a little awkward for them since they decided again that they should break up.

"I just hid there. How pathetic is that?" Serena holds out her hand. "No, don't answer that."

"Breakups are easy. It's having to see them date someone else is hard. Why do you think I rub it in Chuck's face every chance I get?" Blair offers.

"A twisted version of foreplay?" I remark.

"Ignoring you." Blair turns her attention back to Serena. "The point is, whoever dates first wins. And with your ex being Dan Humphrey, you win by default."

We stop walking when we see Dan talking to some girl in the courtyard.

Looks like Humphrey defied our great expectations and Waldorf's rules of order. Daring to date before Serena? It's only a matter of time before it's off with his head. Or hers.

We sit in the courtyard. Serena is doing her work while Blair pours over the new girls file.

"The file is sketchy. She just transferred in," Nelly states.