Chapter 2: Rebecca

Classes passed as quick as the wind and when the bell tolled, Seth was surprised he had made it through half of his day without punching someone or something. He had been solemn and absentminded in class which was very much unlike him. Even his sports teacher had asked if he was alright to which he had smoothly nodded and feigned headache to escape the Physical Education class.

His teacher had excused him and he had dashed to the library—his least favorite place—to cry, eat a little bit of the lunch his mother had prepared for him and reminisced over everything he had lost in the last couple of years. His father, his dog, the simple joy of having family dinners and the wholesome times he used to spend with his mother without quarrels.

Those had been the good days then and if he had known he was going to lose them all someday, he would have appreciated them a little bit more than he had done.

His best friend, Josh wrapped an arm around his shoulders and ruffled his hair. Seth made a mental note of wetting it when he gets home. Josh and him were about the same height but the former had more body build than him. Seth refused to think it was because he was lean. He has never been hungry or starved in his entire life. "We're headed to the wrestling school. Still want to come? I'm asking because of the headaches you were having earlier so I assumed you'd probably changed your mind at the last minute."

Seth forced himself not to openly sob. He had thought of going to the wrestling school to ask about their admission fees and see if his savings were enough for him to apply. He is going to miss his chance now since it will only be opening today and he wasn't sure for how long he will be able to keep his savings a secret from his mother. "Nah, I'm not going anymore, dude." He choked out as they stepped outside. The other boys waved at their direction, beckoning them to come. "You go ahead man. I'm sure there will be another chance."

"You sure you don't want me to stay with you," Josh asked. "We can talk and later order pizza while we watch movies on Netflix at my house."

Seth laughed and gave him a playful shove, "Go ahead. I'll be fine. Might as well make the most of it and do some errands for Mr. Anderson after I rest for a while."

"Okay man. Catch you later." Seth took off to the other direction as Josh left with the other boys. The walk from the school to his house wasn't a long distance by any measure. He passed pastry stores but not even the sweet aroma of cupcakes baking could lighten his mood. He was angry and pissed off at his mother but not more than at the new neighbors. They could have chosen any day. Why did it have to be on Monday? Precisely the day he had wanted to visit the wrestling school.

As he neared the street to his house, he heard voices. Well, one voice actually, but it was particularly loud and sounded peculiar. A nice van was packed in front of the house next to his. It was fully packed and loaded and a slender woman was leaning against the door, swinging a phone in her hand. It looked like she was waiting for someone. When she saw him, she gave him a bright smile and opened her arms wide. Seth froze beside a mailbox, unsure what to do. He certainly didn't know the woman.

"Come here Colby!" The woman shouted out to him, arms still spread wide. Her accent was different so he was sure she wasn't American. Going with the flow, Seth let the woman hug him. She squeezed him impossibly hard but it was kind of nice. He couldn't remember the last time someone hugged him like this. Not even his mother. "It's so nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you."

Seth tried to wriggle out of the hug but then a flash of orange caught his eye. A girl—about his age, was standing there, viciously glaring at him.