chapter five

*Wisconsin, 1970-something.*

*we're all alright theme plays*

"HELLOOOOO WISCONSIN!!!!!!"

*the forman basement*

"donna?" jackie asks.

"what the hell is on your finger?"

"w-what?" donna asked, pretending to not know what she's talking about.

"oh, don't play dumb. what is it?"

everyone looked over at donna. eric walks into the room.

"eric! what did you do, man?" hyde asked.

"w-what?" eric asked.

"they know. run!!" donna said while taking eric hand and running out the door.

"what's happening?" fez asked.

"i think they're engaged." kelso said.

jackie screams.

hyde jumps, startled. "jackie! what was that for?"

"I LOVE WEDDINGS!!!" jackie says.

"oh yeah, man i forgot to warn you, she's obsessed. you better put a ring on that finger soon or else she'll keep harassing you about this." kelso said to hyde.

"jackie, listen to me, if i here any of this wedding crap, i swear, we won't get married ever." hyde said.

"wait. so if i don't talk about weddings, we can get married?" jackie said, excitedly.

"n-no that isn't what i said-"

"no, steven! that's exactly what you just said! we're gonna get married! we're gonna get married!" jackie started chanting.

hyde grabbed her by the legs and threw her over his shoulders. he walked over to the door, opened it, dropped her outside the door and closed it.

"crap, man! now i have to get married! i hate weddings." hyde said.

"don't tell me i didn't warn you." kelso said.

*later that day, eric and donna walked into the basement, jackie was already back*

"heyyy" donna and eric said awkwardly.

"donna, can i speak to you outside for a moment?" jackie asked.

"sure." she said, walking out the door.

"tell me right now." jackie said.

"tell you what?"

"c'mon donna. what's the deal? are you two getting married?" jackie asked.

"no, it's a promise ring." donna said.

"what? and you accepted it? what's wrong with you donna? have i taught you nothing?" jackie said.

"what do you mean? it's just a stupid promise ring."

"no, donna! you should NEVER accept a promise ring! it means they're too lazy to get married to you. you have to give it back now before it's too late!" jackie said.

"i mean, i guess you're right." donna said.

*meanwhile, in the basement with the guys*

"you gave her a what?" they all asked.

"a promise ring. chicks love that!" eric said.

"no, they don't! has jackie taught you nothing?" kelso asked.

"yeah, man! even i know that!" fez said.

"i- well, what should i do?" eric asked.

"nothing. there's nothing you can do. you're doomed." kelso said.

* jackie and donna walked in*

*hyde ran over and grabbed popcorn*

"this is gonna be good!" hyde said.

"eric. i can't accept this." donna said.

"what, why?" eric asked.

"i don't want to be tied down like this. i'm an independent woman. i don't need this." she said, handing him back the ring.

"wait, what? what does this mean? don't you want to be together? grow old together? i can work all day, and you stay home with our kids!" eric said.

"wait, what? if anything, you'll be home and i'll be at work!" donna said.

"donna, you know that can't happen. i'm the man of the house and who else will watch the kids?" eric said.

"well, if that's how you want it, then i guess there won't be any of our kids." donna said.

"well, if you don't see a future with me, donna, then we're not doing what i thought we were doing. maybe we shouldn't be doing this at all." eric said.

"i guess not!" donna said, storming out.

"fine, then!" eric yelled. he ran upstairs, leaving everyone in there shocked.

"wow. i never thought they would break up, out of all of us." hyde said.

"yeah." they all agreed.

kelso and fez eventually left, leaving jackie and hyde.

"steven?" jackie asked.

"yes, jackie?" hyde answered.

"what are we?"

"what do you mean?" hyde asked.

"are we together-together?" jackie asked.

"well, yeah. why, you don't think so?" hyde asked.

"no! i just- after today, and everything that happened, i began to doubt everything. especially love." jackie said.

"you love me?" hyde asked.

"of course i do steven." jackie said.

"wow. no one has ever said that to me before, not even my parents before they ended up like they did." hyde said.

"aww steven!" jackie said. making puppy dog eyes while pulling hyde into a hug.

"i love you, steven hyde."

"i love you, jackie burkhart."