Startling Possibilities

A.N: The above (if you're on the app) or side (if you're online) art is by the amazingly talented, wonderful, truly extraordinary Husker4life. Let's here some love for the picture of Nathan she drew with those incredible hands of hers! :)

---------------------------------------------

While Rick and I sat in the chair's of our Captain's office, silently awaiting her lead on why she'd called us in, Brayden still bouncing on my lap, playing with my badge, there wasn't a single moment where the two of us weren't both scared out of our minds, completely uncomfortable and entirely in a rush to get up and get out. Instead, as we were expected to do, we sat silently in our chairs. Finally, my patience disappeared and I asked, "Captain, is there a reason you called us in here, or-."

"Sh." Her hiss pissed me off a bit.

Castle then tried, "Sir, we-."

She sternly interrupted, "Mr. Castle, did I ask you to speak?"

He replied, wounded, "No, sir."

"Then zip it," she instructed and went back to fumbling around with her computer.

Finally, after we'd been in her office for two minutes without knowing why or for how long we'd be were, without even having the ability to check Brayden into daycare, I broke the silence once more. "Captain Gates, I have a case I should be working and a son who should be in daycare right now. Is there a reason you called us in here or not?"

Just then, someone getting off the elevator caught her attention. She stood and answered, "He is your reason, detective."

We turned and looked to see a strange man in a suit making his way directly to us. "Who is he?" Rick leaned over and asked. I shrugged. When the door opened, I stood after Rick leaned.

The man questioned, "Detective Beckett? Mr. Castle?"

"Yes sir," I replied.

He held out his hand, which Rick took as I was struggling to get B situated on my side. "I'm Thomas Payne. I work at the One Police Plaza in our legal department. I make sure there are no liabilities in our units." This registered a moment. We all knew we were a liability. This wasn't new news. I just couldn't understand why he was here.

"He's the man who gave the final okay to allow the two of you to work together after your engagement," Gates informed us.

"Oh," I responded, "Well thank you very much, sir."

He smiled. "Not a problem, detective. You keep that case closure rate up and we won't have any problems."

"Yes sir," I said, bumping Brayden back up on my side, watching him grip to my shirt.

The man then took an interest in B. "Who is this little man?"

"This is Brayden, our son," I told him grip.

"I understand he just hit six months?"

Rick took that. "Well, actually, today is six months exactly."

"Yes, I know. That's actually what I came to talk to you both about." Curiosity sparked. "Given the circumstances of your shooting and those surrounding his birth, the department would like to ensure they aren't financially liable for any belated medical issues."

"Belated medical issues?" I asked, confused, denying the possibility that Brayden wasn't absolutely fine.

Castle's hands came to rest on my shoulders as he asked, "What is it the department wants us to do?"

"We would just like a copy of your son's medical records after his six month check up. Nothing major, just for reference," the man replied casually.

I then questioned, "What medical issues?"

Payne couldn't answer, but our doctor certainly had to. "Well, often we don't recognize sight, auditory or physical ailments until a child hits 6 months. Unfortunately, in the stage of development Brayden was in when u were shot, all of these problems, plus others are possibilities. Although, judging by the quick progress your son is making in every way, there's no reason to be concerned at the moment."

Castle nodded for me, and thanked the man as I was scared out of my mind, far too frightened to speak. As the man checked our son's breath sounds and his heart beat and looked into his ears and eyes, I was gripping Castle's hand, watching as closely as I could, nauseous with concern. He leaned in and eventually told me, "There's nothing to worry about, Kate. Brayden is perfectly fine. You know that."

I didn't really take this to heart, but I did allow myself to look away from my son for a moment and straight into his eyes. The sight of him, so completely sure, so completely calm, even if it was just a show for me, was just enough my get my hand to ease up and the tensions in my body to relax. The doctor then asked one of us to call Brayden's name. Since he generally responded better to my voice than his father's, I called him. It didn't take more than a few seconds for him to locate where my voice was coming from, and as such, he looked over at me fairly quick. When he saw me, he smiled wildly. The doctor then spun B around and did something to check his sight. That was over fast. As was a check of his other ear with a rattle placed out of sight on both sides of his head.

He then smiled up at us and said, "Your son did beautifully."

"So he's alright?" I questioned.

The man hesitated. "Can I get one of you to come stand in front of Brayden?" Rick moved. I couldn't. "Can I just get you to look into his eyes for a moment. Just a moment."

Castle did. B wasn't focusing well, but he got a glimpse at him. Rick then took note, "His eyes are red."

"Yes they are," the man said, "and he's sneezed several times while he was in here."

"So, what? He has a cold?" I asked.

The man shook his head. "No, I think your son is allergic to my cat."

Rick smiled, "Probably a good thing we don't have a cat, then."

"I agree. Now, other than the allergy, there is nothing medically wrong with Brayden. I will be putting that in his file and sending it to your bosses with the explanation that it's incredible that Brayden is completely unharmed. Almost a miracle, I'd say. You and he are both very lucky, detective.

With that, he closed up his file and let us go. Just like that. As easy as one, two, three and we were gone.

For the car ride back to the precinct, I asked Rick to drive, and I sat in the backseat watching Brayden slowly drift asleep, his little hand gripping my finger as I played with his hold for a bit. Even when he was asleep, he was still the most entertaining thing to me. He was perfect in every way. My little miracle.