Chapter 14 - A Dangerous Crossing

Începe de la început

"I'm sorry," he added sheepishly.

"Don't apologize," Sofia said. "We are in this together. And if anything, it is good that we have different talents. That way, we can help each other out."

Before Ami could say anything in return, Orì froze in her step.

"Look,"she said, pointing towards the sky.

A large dark bird was soaring high, its wings spread out majestically, but its head clearly turned towards the ground, its little eyes sharp and piercing. It was hunting for prey.

"It's Master Zbgi. Ami, I don't think we have a choice."

"There got to be another way."

Orì thought frantically. Then she reached for Sofia's backpack again, but this time not to take it but to open it.

"There's a blanket."

Sofia knew right away what she meant. She tore the blanket from the backpack with little regard for the other items inside. The bird was still far away, but who knew what it (he!) could see from its vantage point up high in the skies. With a swift gesture, she threw the blanket over their heads as if to shield them from a sudden downpour. Together with Orì, she made sure that they were completely covered. Then, Orì turned the blanket transparent. They could see the sky as if through a glass ceiling.

Ami was confused.

"How does this help? He'll know it's us."

"It's transparent from the other side as well," Orì said. "As are we beneath it. All he will see is the ground underneath our feet, like a reflection."

"That's brilliant!"

Orì looked satisfied by the praise.

"It's easy," she said. "Easier than invisibility."

"Then why didn't you think of it yesterday?" Sofia couldn't keep herself from saying.

"At least I thought of it today."

They continued on, keeping an anxious eye on the sky. The bird kept circling for a while longer, and then it vanished. They breathed in relief, but then realized that this didn't mean the danger of being discovered was over.

"What will he do next?" Sofia said, peering around.

As if answering her question, the wind took up and blew against them as they kept marching forward. They leaned into it, but quickly felt how they were becoming more tired. Rain started to fall, fat droplets hitting their faces like a myriad of tiny whips.

"A little help, Sofia?" Orì called, her head held down against the elements.

"How?"

"Come up with something. I can't do everything."

Sofia felt the objections bubbling up inside her, but Ami shot her a pleading look. He was soaking wet already, his hair stuck to his cheeks.

Orì was shielding them from sight, now she had to shield them from the opposing forces that were slowing them down and making their bones feel heavy as if filled with lead. Even though she felt ambivalent about using magic, especially since she had felt so alienated from her own self during the mirroring trick, she figured that what she would be combatting was magic too. Fighting un-reality with unreal tricks was fine with her.

She closed her eyes in order to focus. It still felt strange to bend her surroundings to her will. She needed to visualize it first. She thought about warmth, about comfort, about a pleasant breeze that was refreshing as well as enveloping. Gradually, she started to feel it. The fine hair on her arms dried and stood up. The layer of wet cold vanished. The wind stopped howling. The noises moved farther away from her.