My Replacement Husband (13) Pudding Talks

Start from the beginning

"What do you think, Jules?" she asked brightly.

I was taken aback. She knew my nickname. "About the situation?"

"You don't have to answer that or anything. My sister has her head in the clouds," Evan sighed. He scowled at Caroline who stuck her tongue out back at him. She looked so young, barely even 20 years old if I had to make a guess.

I felt her heavy stare.

The Southern hospitality in me found it hard to deny a pregnant woman. In fact, I was half-tempted to run around for extra pillows for her comfort or look for cafeteria crackers in case she felt nauseous. "I was a fan of it at first, I'll admit, but it's a great opportunity to...catch up. Evan's a really talented writer."

She snorted. "He's such a sap. Did you read all that mushy stuff in his little love letter slash ode to the girl who broke his heart? If I didn't already have morning sickness, I would have thrown up because of that book."

So I was right.

Someone did hurt him.

"Julie hasn't read that," Evan said.

"Actually..." I was going to mention it at dinner. Now seemed like a perfectly reasonable time to bring it up. "I read it. Only the first few chapters...Mr. Petras gave it to me to look over, but it felt wrong to continue it without you know first."

Evan placed his head in his hands. "He wasn't supposed to give you that."

"Don't be embarrassed, Ev," Caroline shushed. "It's cringey in a good way. I think you should publish that book instead, not the boring story about that old man and his mid-life crisis. We lived through that with dad. That story has been put to rest."

"Did anyone ever tell you that you talk too much?" While Evan looked incredibly frustrated, he didn't lash out at Caroline in the slightest. Instead, he poured water into her empty bedside cup before returning his hand back to where it had been resting on her forearm.

"Jules, doesn't mind it. Right?"

Again with the nickname.

Maybe I was overthinking it, but usually, only Evan and Yoona would ever think to call me 'Jules'. To everyone it was Julie except to my mother when she was upset, it was Julie Ann Carson.

I laughed genuinely. "I like it."

Caroline was like her brother: incredibly easy to talk to. She had slipped her way into and out of subjects with ease. She made you feel comfortable from the first word she uttered.

"Also! Next time, you don't have to rush here looking as pale as Casper the Ghost. I just had some heartburn, and I wanted to check it out. We can't be too careful," she sung cheerfully. Again, her hand caressed her belly with warm affection.

I had met Caroline for a total of twenty-four minutes, but I could already tell she would make a great mother. I wondered where her husband was...probably that David guy she mentioned...she had proudly displayed the diamond ring on her right hand, but I decided it wasn't any of my business to ask such personal questions.

"I thought it was serious," Evan grumbled. "I really thought something bad happened to you or the baby, Ro."

She pushed away his hand. "If you want to be some actual good, grab me a vanilla and chocolate swirl pudding cup from the cafeteria. Mama needs her sugar. I think it's half the calories cause the baby and I are going split-sies."

I smiled.

"Almost two months," she told me blithely.

Evan stood up to get to the cafeteria. "I'll leave you two to chat."

"I'm tired," she grumbled. "I love chatting with you both, but I'm pooped. So, why don't you go with him, Jules? Don't forget to leave the pudding cup when you get back, and then you can skedaddle."

I gathered my things awkwardly.

I still had nearly three and a half hours to kill here. Might as well grab myself a pudding cup if Evan was going to swing by the cafeteria.

"Lead the way," Evan said once we reached the door.

I tried to wave my goodbye to Caroline who surprisingly had already knocked out.

"Sorry about Ro," he apologized the second we left the room. "She can be overly familiar with people sometimes. It can get on people's nerves."

"Really?" Despite some initial apprehension on my part, Caroline was bright, funny, and delightful to be around. "Caroline's great. I wish I got to meet her when we were together."

Evan's expression softened. "She was away for a while."

"Away?" I inquired, hoping to not cross any boundaries.

"Our parents divorced when I was in high school," he said.

I had known that.

"Mom took Caroline, and my dad was stuck with me."

I hadn't known that part.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know," I said as we walked past the double doors into the east wing of the hospital where the cafeteria was located.

"Nah, don't be sorry. I don't really talk about it even now," he said.

Part of me wanted to tell him that talking about your feelings with people was important, but I knew what a hypocrite I was when it came to really speaking my mind. Sure, I had my moments of honesty recently, but it had taken me years to even work up the nerve to bring up the past with Evan.

Was it always going to be like that?

"When my dad died," I said, surprising myself. "I didn't know who to talk to about it. My mom threw herself into the funeral arrangements then onto me and Kathy's lives. Kathy was constantly crying or needing comfort. It felt like..."

I paused when I saw the way Evan was looking at me.

At first, I feared it was the pity. I had always dreaded the looks people gave me when they were feeling bad that I felt bad. They felt sorry for me, but in the end, it was focused on themselves at least in Northwick. It was a competition of who felt worse for me.

That wasn't the look Evan gave me. "It felt like everyone needed someone to be okay, and no one could understand me, so why bother?"

It felt cathartic to say that out loud to someone.

"People care about you, Jules. Even if they don't understand, and they'd be lying if they did say they understood." Evan stopped at the doors to the cafeteria. "I care about you, Jules."

I didn't even realize my eyes had been watering.

"I care about you too."

And I meant it.

Funny how meaningful talks before grabbing pudding could be.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Guys! I really would love to get to #1 on the #real rankings. Every vote and comment really drives me up there, so please if you enjoyed click that little star icon on the corner and if you have the time leave a short lil ole comment for me to read and respond to! Much love <3

ALSO: I really loved how this chapter panned out! I wasn't sure what route I wanted to take with Julie's sudden clash with Ethan again, but I really enjoyed Caroline's entrance. She not only adds a nice comedic relief to the heaviness, but her own character is rich and complex too. I also like alternating between Evan and Ethan's screentime. I know their names are similar guys and honestly, they're both looking like great guys. :) 

Any hashtag teams yet? I'm always #TEAMJULIE