Chapter 40

Hello angels! How is everyone doing? I hope that everyone is safe! Enjoy the story because it will be ending soon!
________________________________

CHRIS'S POV

I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my room door. I grunted softly as I wiped my eyes. I tried to get up when I felt something resting on my arm. Confused, I looked beside me and saw Ella sleeping on my arm.

In that very instant, I had felt something that I couldn't explain. Slowly, without waking her up, I let her head rest on one of the pillows and made my way to the door. I hesitated a bit before I decided to open the door slightly. There was no way I would let anyone in my room while Ella was here.

This institute loved to spread rumours and the last thing she needed was someone tearing her down with this. I didn't care. I have heard a lot about me. A lot that wasn't true either but who cared. I truly didn't have enough time to go and confront each one of them. I have just left it at that.

To my surprise, Samuel was standing in his room door. I frowned as I waited for him to speak but it looked more like he was trying to get inside my room.

"What? Are you not letting me in?" Samuel asked and I laughed softly, not really knowing what to do. I had a feeling like Samuel had a crush on Ella.

I didn't wanted him to find us like this. Even though nothing had happened between them. I knew that there was something going between us... The kiss they shared. I made it look like I didn't care as if it had happened so often to me but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I truly couldn't.

"What is it? I will get ready and come." I said and Samuel frowned in confusion.

"Are you hiding a girl in there or something?" He laughed as he pushed the door slightly and walked inside my room.

"Sam..." I said softly as I saw his smile fading away. He chuckled softly and quickly, trying to avoid an awkward situation in between us.

"I didn't know that you guys..." He trailed off and I looked at him with sympathy in my eyes. At this very moment, I hated myself. I hated for have feelings for someone again.

I felt guilty towards Erica and now also towards Samuel. I shook my head and looked at him.

"She couldn't sleep so she just came over here. We were just chilling." I said, trying to make it sound like it was nothing. Samuel sighed.

"You don't have to make me feel better, Chris. You deserve this." He said as he walked over towards me. He patted me on my shoulder and smiled.

"Really. You do. So stop feeling guilty about it." Samuel said as if he was able to read my thoughts. I let a small laugh come from my mouth as I nodded my head.

I pulled him into a hug as I breathed out loudly. Samuel was everything to me. I never really had a good relationship with my parents. They always wanted me to be something that would work into their favour. I wasn't like that.

In their eyes. I was the failure as well as their disappointment. Samuel was different. He was everyone's favourite. I have never resented him for that. It made me love him even more. I was worried about him. It worried me that he would purely act on our parents happiness than his own.

"What's going on?" I heard Ella's sleepy voice ask. I came out of the hug as I faced myself towards her. Her eyes widened when she saw Samuel and she quickly got up from the bed.

So quick, that's she almost lost her balance and fell into my arms. She looked up and shared a awkward smile.

"I'm sorry." She quickly said as she straightened herself up. I smiled softly and looked at her as she looked over at Samuel.

"Good morning." She greeted him and I could see that she was feeling uncomfortable. I would have as well.

"Morning." Samuel smiled. She bit her underlip as she looked down. Yeah that awkward silence.

"Chris!" I heard someone calling out my name. I quickly looked up, towards my room door and saw Alexis standing.

"What's wrong?" I asked confused.

"It's Lucifer." She replied. Ella came a bit forward and I could see from the corner of my eyes that she was becoming tense.

What happened last time shouldn't be happening again. This was all a game... A game for Lucifer to get Ella to her dark side. To use her vulnerability to his advantage.

"What did he do?" Ella asked. Her tone of voice was serious and I feared that she might become in the same condition like she did last time.

Her mother's death had a massive impact on her and never did he see in his years, someone becoming this corruptive by it. What if this was Lucifer's goal? What if killing Angela was the plan after all? That means that Lucifer will do this again. Killing the Ella's loved ones one by one until she has no other choice than becoming one with him.

"He released greater demons on the city. The mortality rate is get higher by each second. Thousands of Shadowhunters are sent out. We need to go." Alexis said in a hurry. I nodded my head and looked at Samuel.

"Get ready. We will be waiting." Samuel said to both me and Ella. Ella nodded her head quietly and looked over at me when Samuel left my room.

"He is doing this because of me." Ella said quietly. I couldn't tell apart whether she was angry right now or upset. Her low voice made it harder to indicate what she was feeling.

"I won't let him hurt you." I said as I held her hand gently. Ella looked up at me and sighed.

"I am not worried about myself but for everyone else... If my father hears this. He will definitely go to Edom to meet my grandfather." Ella said and breathed out. Stressed, she rolled her shoulders back before she looked away from me.

"Nothing will happen." I reassured her and pulled her into a hug. I was terrified. I was terrified of what kind of extent Lucifer would go to, to get to Ella.

Ella held onto me tightly as she rested her head onto my shoulder. I wasn't sure what we were or how she even felt about me but I wouldn't let anything happen to her. Not while I was alive. There was a reason why I trained day in and out when Erica passed away.

It was for this very moment. The moment where I will be able to protect someone I love. Whether it was Samuel, Alexis, Charlotte or Ella. I would protect them with my own life like I wished I could have with Erica. I wasn't weak anymore. Not like before. I learned to endure pain and make it up to my strength.

Whatever would happen, I will protect Ella with everything I had. Even if that meant that I had to die for it.