Alejo- Chapter 16

::CHAPTER 16::

It happened again tonight, but I hadn’t seen it coming. Perhaps I should have. I wasn’t surprised that it did after all. I’d spent most of the night talking to Caroline at the dinner and according to my psychiatrist she was the biggest memory trigger. She helped me to remember. After leaving her, I had been on my way back to Loki’s house aside from a short detour.

There I had given in to the buzz that had been distracting me for most of the week. It had been easy to push it to the back of my mind for a while. Easier still to take out my restlessness on my soldiers all week. But it had been time tonight. Another heart needed to be taken.

When the dinner was over, I let Loki and his humans leave without me while I stayed with Caroline. We worked the room for maybe an hour after the others had left and then I took her home.

By that point the wait was too much. Strolling around the town, I saw a butcher sweeping his store. The door was locked and the closed sign was up, but I saw an invitation in the red stains of his apron. Twisting the door knob hard enough to break it, I entered and left with my task completed in less than ten minutes.

After butchering the butcher – no pun intended – I had come back to Loki’s place through a series of back routes and self-made entrances. Once inside the house, I put the heart into its jar and placed it into my bag. I could have buried the body, leaving no one any wiser. It was the logical thing to do. But I didn’t. That would be boring. Boring didn’t suit me. I didn’t want to hide the butcher.

I had stood in the room with the man lying on the white sheets of what had once been my bed at Loki’s house. The white was slowly being stained by the gaping hole in his chest, organ missing. Apart from the gash in his head, his shredded chest and the scarlet clothes, he appeared to be asleep. Pushing the lock of hair from his eyes, I smiled and bid him goodbye. I pulled off my gloves and stowed them in my jacket before grabbing my luggage.

Samuel and I were returning home that night so there was no harm done. I knew that I would never be invited into Loki’s house again. Not after he found the body. It didn’t matter. Ana had given me all that I needed and she was now as unnecessary to me as returning to this mansion. Samuel and I met at the entrance where Loki was waiting to bid us goodbye like a decent host.

He was still wearing his clothes from the dinner minus the white jacket that had been paired with his pants. His striped tie had been loosened, his shirt sleeves rolled up and his top button undone, but apart from that nothing much else had been altered.

“It’s been interesting having you around, Alejo.”

“I bet it has,” I replied noting his use of the word interesting as opposed to something pleasant, “I’m sure you’ll miss me when I go.”

“You think so?” Loki raised a brow.

“I can guarantee it. You’ll probably wish I hadn’t left. Most likely will find yourself in my old room, sitting on my bed and wishing you had me in your arms…or hands,” I smirked inwardly at the thought of him going into the room now.

“I doubt it.”

“We’ll see.”

“We will.”

“I would miss waking to your face each day, brother,” I pulled him in for a hug and kissed his cheek before letting out a sigh, “I love you so, dear Loki.”

“And I love you as much as you love me, my most cherished of bothers,” he said, “See you in good time.”

“Definitely,” I laughed because I saw the silver in Loki’s tongue as he saw the silver in mine, “I will miss this.”