Alejo- Chapter 5

Pic of Carol to the side

::CHAPTER 5::

Just as the sun dipped behind the horizon I stepped onto the balcony. Stars already dotted the sky. From the tower I could see Samuel’s car driving away. He was on his way to Bvendini to see Loki. Samuel was one of those advisors that were hard to come by. His loyalty was undisputed. I never questioned him when he said he needed to see my brother.

When Samuel was found he was wounded, incoherent and losing vast amounts of blood. His body was filled with multiple stab wounds inflicted by someone who was intent on a slow and painful death. Each wound was placed where nothing vital was punctured but would hurt like a bitch. My father was about to kill and drain him but before he passed out, Samuel murmured Loki’s name. With the name of his birth son on a dying man’s lips, my father took Samuel to the hotel room and did everything in his power to help him. He wanted to know how Loki knew the injured man. No one knew whether or not he was one of Loki’s men attacked by someone else.

At that time, immortals were known for taking lives not restoring them. Back in those darker days, none of us had ever tried to save a human using the venom. My father decided to experiment and see what would happen. The theory had been that the venom, which affected humans down to their very cells, would regenerate his skin tissue and blood cells. Of course it could have backfired and damn near anything could have happened. The venom was best used to enhance healthy human bodies not repair one that was damaged and dying. We could have easily created some sort of zombie; a being that was alive but with skin rotting and decaying with time.

To the surprise of my father and other immortals later on, the experiment worked. The discovery became a widespread phenomenon. Though it took almost a month, Samuel was walking around in his new body with fully functioning vitals. The Change took. Samuel was being closely monitored but he was eventually fit for questioning. It turns out that Sam had been Loki’s advisor and Loki had been his attacker.

At the time Loki had a Pet by the name of Leo. Loki was very close with his Pet and began taking his opinions into consideration. Leo was being favored over Samuel when advice was taken into account and that made Sam’s job more difficult. Pets were meant as companions and food, not advisors. Naturally there was some animosity between the two. One day things went too far and the exchange of words turned into an exchange of blows. Samuel injured Leo in the fight.

This was a huge mistake for Samuel to make. Immortals were fiercely protective over their Pets whether they were male or female. To injure an immortal’s Pet was akin to stabbing him in the back.

It was shocking that Loki had allowed Samuel to so much as limp away without ensuring his death first. When we’d found Samuel, two of my sisters and my father had been in Bvendini to get some supplies. We were staying in a hotel not too far from Loki’s mansion. While out for a stroll, father had smelt Samuel’s blood from the entrance of the alley and had to walk almost a block before he saw the bleeding man.

Now that my father’s discovery of the healing components of the venom was made public, Samuel was famous. The news of his Change made it back to Loki. Intrigued, Loki came to our home to visit his old advisor and see the Change for himself. By this time Samuel was working with my father and had started getting used to life with us. Loki’s visit complicated things from the first night.

Samuel was no longer human. He was twice as valuable as he’d been before Loki’s attempted murder. A murder that was perfectly understandable by the Constitution that governed immortals. Pets were seen as sacred. Blood bonded. Like children to mothers. They were to be protected not harmed. Samuel could not hold a grudge against Loki. His Master’s reaction had been understandable. Expected even.