[18] paragraphs

[18] paragraphs

This was requested by raeraeisawesome and I'm actually very glad she asked for a chapter on this because in a lot of stories on wattpad, people don't seem to know much about paragraphs and when to start a new one.

DEFINITION OF PARAGRAPH:

"A paragraph (from the Greek paragraphos, "to write beside" or "written beside") is a group of sentences with one topic."

As you can see, "one topic" is put in bold. A paragraph focuses solely on one topic, and it changes when you change the topic. If you're talking about apples in one paragraph, you create a new paragraph if you suddenly start talking about steak.

Lemme go more in depth.

A NEW PARAGRAPH IS CREATED WHEN . . .

+ someone new speaks

WRONG: "Hi, Jen," Jeremy said. "Hey, Jeremy," Jen said, smiling at him.

RIGHT: "Hi, Jen," Jeremy said.

"Hey, Jeremy," Jen said, smiling at him.

+ new subject

+ when you've skipped to another place/time

If you say something like "Later that day, I found my watch" or "Five hours later, we headed to the mall"

+ when you want to be dramatic with a line.

That being said, NOT EVERY LINE IS TO BE A NEW PARAGRAPH. And if you overuse this tool, it becomes dull and the whole effect goes away.

This is really just a general explanation. As I always say, you can find many articles that will explain this more in depth and if you fail to find some you can even ask me I'll recommend a few :-) Sorry to the Rae, who requested I go over paragraphs, because I posted this much later than she asked me to.