first food

Maize's POV

Niall wonders slowly off into the jungle. All I can here is birds and what sounds like monkeys and all I can see is the flame of Niall's lighter.

'Niall?' I ask, shaking with fear.

'Yeah?' He asks spinning around.

'Are you scared? Be honest.' I say stopping.

'Terrified.' He says walking over to me and taking my hand and pulling me close to him. 'But I'm hungry. So I'm gunna get the food, even if it kills me.'

I smile. 'I like that.' I say pulling away from him, but not letting go of his hand. We carry on walking, faster now, into the darkness, looking up and down trees and searching bushes. But we find nothing. Finally we come to a tree surrounded by coconuts. We laugh happily and start filling our arms with them.

'I think i'm going to cry.' I say.

'Me too.' Niall says stuffing some under his top. We run(ish, its hard to run carrying coconuts) back to the shelter, not letting go of each other. We go back into the shelter with nine coconuts each.

'Yes, your back! What did you get?' Louis says reaching out to us.

'Ah!' I say moving away from him. 'If you want food, you have to get it. 'Cuz i ain't going out there.' I mimick him from earlier and he scowls.

'What! So your not going to give us any? You've got nine each!' Natalia exclaims. We shrug.

'We're hungry. Nine is like three.' Niall says and they sigh. They scowl as we begin to crack the coconuts. We hold the lighter to the top until there is a hole. We drink the milk grinning.

'Mmmmm, this is so good.' We tease. After drinking the milk we burn down the sides and split it open.

'Oh my lordy lord! This is N-ice!' Niall says in his irishness way. Natalia leans over and whispers something into Louis' ear which makes him laugh loudly.

'What?' Niall asks. They both shake their heads and continue laughing.

'What?!' I ask, this is annoying. They laugh even more and we just dicide to go to sleep. I sit on the leaves, leaning on the tree behind me, trying to fall asleep.