-Ch 14: Distraction.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Distraction.

-Ashley Dawson-

“Well no it’s not though, is it?” I watched with a tight locked mouth on this, I was supposed to be concentrated, but my mind was elsewhere. Valerie made creased and somewhat disgusted faces to the people that couldn’t see her at the other end of the phone. Her perfectly arched eye-brows knitted together in annoyed frustration. “No, I outputted those figures to you weeks ago...I don’t care, if I give you money I expect something in return.”

I bit my lip, looking down at my chipped pink nail polish that I’d have to do again before we went tomorrow to see some high class fashion experts about some kind of business deal. I’d stopped the habit of chewing my nails at the age of twelve, but I guess in the state of uneasiness old habits can return.

 It was hard for me to concentrate on work when I not only knew that Niall was halfway across the world, but too, in some sort of mood with me. It wasn’t like it was my fault I had to come over here for work, I didn’t exactly do a lot to prevent it, but I can’t cancel my career plans every time Niall has some time off for once. Of course that didn’t stop me feeling bad though, or him making me feel bad. I sighed to myself, tracing my fingertip in a dent in the wood, another fleck of pink chipped onto the wood and I looked at my now half covered nail, imperfectly coated.

“Ashley dear would you pass the cheque book?” Valerie requested, her Blackberry pressed to her top as she motioned for the small leather blue book that lay with a stack of papers. I obeyed, passing it to her and she mouthed a “Thank you.”

“Well then we’ll just come and see your accounting firm that’s holding you back, won’t we?” She raised her eye-brows; irrelevant was the fact that they could not see her. “Oh I think it will. No, no, my pleasure darling, sure...Right so that’s 2:30 in the East wing, room 13 we’ll be there half past sharp. No problem.”

She gave me a look which I knew too well. So I reached to the left, and took the pink leather notebook that was marked with the year on the side in block lettering. I uncapped a pen, holding it between my teeth as my eyes scanned busily over the all the various places we had to be tomorrow. It didn’t look like we would have a lot of spare time. Especially with this appointment now pencilled into the only free gap. I sighed to myself, realising only now just what I had gotten myself into. It was totally different to be working for someone else, compared to now, self-employed, everything was resting on your shoulders.

Accounting firm; 2:30. East Wing, Room 13.

I wrote as neatly as I could for it being fairly late and fatigue was glossed over me thickly. Any disagreements set aside; I only really wanted to be at home, with Niall, hopefully, asleep.

“Brilliant. Fine, we’ll see you then and get this sorted...Yes, you too. It was not a pleasure doing business with you. Yes and I do hope the feeling is mutual. Okay, goodbye.”

I looked up at Valerie raising my eye-brows. I didn’t know if it was the fact that I held a lot of sorrow for everyone who didn’t deserve it, but I felt half sorry for whoever she was talking to. Then again, accountants tended to be very stern faced people, so maybe it did not matter.

“I swear, if we don’t get this sorted tomorrow, we will be getting new accountants. No argument about that.” She grumbled.

“Just don’t make them leave us first, I don’t do maths.” I informed her, rather truthfully.

“Neither do I, but it doesn’t matter. In all honesty, I have no idea what they’re talking about when they tell me that the anonymous amount is a fraction percentage of the monthly rate of whatever. But I know how to get what I want out of a maths whiz who sits behind a computer, and it’s more than that.”