Wigs (E)

"I knew my hair was going to come out with chemo, but I just didn't know when. It's kind of like a surprise party, only with less gifts and more bald."

Alexa, Katie and I now stood in the bathroom mirror, heads completely shaved. I had a mini heart attack when I first saw my head. I just wasn't prepared for so much. . . bald.

"Ok, what now?" Katie asked.

"You're asking me?" Alexa said. "Five minutes ago, I had hair. I mean, it was falling out in chunks, but I hadn't planned on going full Vin Diesel tonight."

"This was a mistake," I whispered to myself. "My head wasn't made to be bald, guys!"

"Whoa! Do your heads feel weird?" Katie asked Alexa and I.

"So weird!" We whispered.

"We start school on Thursday, which would be fine if we were on Mars."

We heard the bathroom door click open and watched as Dave and Lori walked into the bathroom to find all three of us with bald heads, our shaven hair everywhere.

"Is everything all . . ." Lori trailed off with a gasp. "Holy mother of dragons!"

"Wow." Was all Dave could say.

"Honey, I didn't know your hair started coming out." Lori said, wrapping her daughter in a hug.

"Ok. Mom . . . I might need to breathe."

"My beautiful girl. Thank god you didn't get your father's head. I would have helped you."

"I didn't know that I was doing it until I was doing it. Y/n kind of got things started."

"Y/n!" Lori gasped, hugging me. "Oh, and Katie!" Katie just stood in front of the mirror, staring at herself, motionless. "Dave, can you believe Katie and Y/n did this for Alexa?"

"Yeah, I - I like how it, uh . . . wow."

"This is about the sweetest thing I have ever seen," Lori said. She looked over at Katie who still stood motionless. "Katie?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna go home," Katie said, walking towards the door. "And I guess my hairs gonna stay here."

"Yeah, I'm gonna leave too," I sighed. "Oh, I'm gonna have to buy something to cover my head." I looked in the mirror once more before running after Katie.

☀︎

I walked into the kitchen the next morning to see Katie at the table with our mom. I wore a beanie over my now bald head, still not loving how it looked.

"Ya know, I am so proud of you two," Mom said. "You guys are so brave."

"Thanks," Katie said. "I'll look like a girl again someday, won't I?"

"Oh, honey! You look like a girl now. A beautiful, thoughtful, amazing, wonderful girl."

"Thanks, Mom."

"I kinda look like an egg," I said, deciding joking was how i was gonna get through this. "I'm a very pretty egg though."

Jack walked into the kitchen, shouting in surprise when he saw the two bald heads of Katie and I. Safe to say he wasn't used to the change either.

"Jack, you've gotta stop doing that." I sighed.

"I can't get used to it."

"Well, now you know how we felt when you were born." Katie added.

"I like it better when you have your hood on."

"I like it better when you have pants on."

"Pants, Jack." Mom told him, not looking up from her laptop.