Home Sweet Home

"You're just in time for pre-drinks" Honey smiled wickedly as the two shuffled through the narrow front door and into an even narrower hallway. Cracked plasterboard spanned the walls' surface, accompanied by uneven ridges and bumps. Someone had obviously attempted to obscure this eyesore by slapping a thick coat of burnt sienna on top, with very little success. Scraping the soles of her shoes against the rough door mat, she then followed behind Honey, taking small, shuffled steps.
Ivory in hue, the painted oak floorboards seemed to be kinder on the eye, yet groaned beneath the pressure of Peaches's hefty doc marten boots.

"Pre-drinks?" she replied with a laugh, stepping into the stark light of the kitchen, at the end of the hallway. Honey giggled in response.
"Duh! I hope you like margaritas...Fleur is making them". She nodded to the blonde standing at the table, calling Peaches to glance in her direction; she was short, around 5ft 3", but in a doll-like way, with petite hands and a beautiful sloped nose that wrinkled in concentration. As she leant over a large jug, bottle of tequila in hand, strands of shoulder length hair fell in front of her face. In this lighting they appeared an ashy blonde, with golden wisps interspersed throughout.
After the jug was half full, she placed the bottle down gently, turning to face an awkwardly stanced Peaches.

"You're here! Sorry the kitchen's a bit of a mess, we cleaned the whole flat today but then we wanted to make drinks for you and, well, you can see why I never took food tech..."

From her accelerated pace, it was evident that she was just as nervous as Peaches.

"I'm Fleur, by the way"
She smiled brightly, her ocean blue eyes gleaming with enthusiasm.
"I'm Peaches, lovely to meet you" she turned to Honey "both of you".

This elicited a warm grin from Honey.

"I love your name...suits your red hair too"
She gestured to the mane of autumnal red, flowing down Peaches's frame. Honey giggled brightly.

"Y'know it's so nice to have another redhead here...it's been lonely being the only one in the house without a soul" The twirling of some copper strands around her perfectly manicured finger further emphasised the statement.

"Well, now we can be soulless beings together" Peaches quipped, a little nervously. It was as though she was testing the waters...sense of humour-wise.

To her delight, a laugh escaped Honey's lips accompanied by muffled chuckles from Fleur.

"OOOOh we got a funny one!!" Honey smirked, her eyes meeting with Fleur's. "Honestly, the last person we had here was this guy...he was so fucking boring. He was, like, dead" her pained voice dragged the last few syllables of the sentence. "What was his name again?"
Fleur sat in silent contemplation.
"Was it Daniel...?"
A bemused expression possessed Honey's delicate features.
"No, that was the guy Juniper used to date"

Somewhat dazed, Peaches stood blankly as these unknown names were thrown about the kitchen.

That was the issue with being an outsider.

After another brief moment of thought, Fleur's eyes lit up. You could almost see a luminescent lightbulb hovering above her head.
"DARREN!!"
Infectious, a wide grin spanned Honey's full lips. She flailed her arms as though she was wading through water.
"YES AND HE HAD THAT MATE NEIL...right dickhead...it was like living with Silent Bob and his rowdy mate"

She turned and grasped Peaches by her shoulders. "Thank god we've got another girl with us now"
"Boys are a bit shit" Peaches echoed, a little gingerly. Fleur cackled.
"Yes they are".
After a few fleeting moments of stillness, a sudden thought jolted Fleur's body into action.
"Honey, you take over. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I'll help Peaches with her room and stuff".