Chapter 37

John B's POV

I sit on the floor with Laila wrapped in my arms, until sirens begin to faintly appear, and then wail louder until it's obvious they've arrived at the house. All of us stand up, scrambling down the stairs, wanting closure.

Payton opens the door, and on the other end is officer Peterkin and some other guy officer. Me and her have a record, and we had issues between her, DSS, and I when I got legally emancipated. She peers behind Payton, looking the other three of us up and down.

"And who are they?" She asks Payton, and Payton actually uses her head and smarts off for once. "That's not what you're here for, we need you to make sure he's gone." She says to Peterkin, gaining a scoff from her.

"Do you have a picture, and where the hell are your parents? Does RON know you've got boys over?" Peterkin says, which leads me to believe she must know Payton's parents. It doesn't surprise me though, everybody knows the Hales. One of the richest kook families here.

"Everybody inside this house right now lives here, please focus on your job." Payton says, seeming inpatient and snappy because she's anxious. "I know for a fact that this one doesn't young lady." She says and points at me, and Payton just laughs.

"Hang on one second." Payton says and angrily walks off, returning a minute or two later and nearly throws a few sheets of paper at Peterkin. I look closer, and they're my own damn custody papers.

"Is Laila's dad still around here or not??" Payton asks. taking the papers back. Peterkin excuses herself and her partner to go around the exterior of the house and search and check the windows and doors for any signs of attempted forced entry.

"Our K9's didn't pick up anything, and there is no sign of entry or attempted entry. Not even footprints. 911 isn't a joke, Payton." Peterkin says, and I put my input into the conversation.

"I heard the banging. SOMEBODY was here." I say, and she just rolls her eyes and laughs. "I'll believe it when I see it, don't pull this shit with me kids." She says, and she and her squad leave. Payton locks the front door and deadbolts it afterwards.

Laila's POV

John B snakes his arm around me, and I lean into his shoulder. He grasps me tightly and looks at my sympathetically, while Angelo and Payton look at eachother as if they're trying to figure out what to do now.

"That was one bullshit ass cop.." Angelo says, and all of us agree with him. I nod against John B's chest, and he looks down at me. I can feel tears prick my eyes from still being startled so badly. I feel like I'm back to living a real life nightmare, just as I was a couple weeks ago. The good times were too good to be true.

Everybody else gravitated towards the living room and sat down, but I think John B could sense that I was on the verge of freaking out, because he nudges me and whispers to me. "C'mon, lets go upstairs" He whispers quietly, taking my hand and leading me upstairs to his guest room, closing the door behind us.

"Are you alright baby?" He asks me in a soothing voice, and I force a nod, holding back tears because I'm sick of crying. He motions me over to him as he lays down on the bed, and I climb up and lay right next to him. He turns and pushes me over slightly until we're spooning, and he wraps his arms around me and makes me feel 20 times safer.

We lay there and he just holds me for a while, while I stare at the wall. I miss back when things were simple, back before my mom died. When I actually had my real family, and things were perfect. Now my dad probably wants to fucking kill me. I don't even know where he got the bail money from, none of this makes any sense.

"What're you thinking about?" John B asks me out of nowhere, kind of startling me. "Hmm, nothing. I was halfway asleep.." I lie to him, not wanting to worry him at all. "You sure? You got tense." He tells me, and I nod, while it makes me realize that I tensed up every part of my body.

I relax my muscles, and turn over in his grasp to face him and wrap one of my legs over his waist. He smiles at me and plants a small kiss on my lips, and I do the same to his. He chuckles softly which makes me smile and forget everything for a little while.