Christmas and Crime

Start from the beginning

When a witch or wizard became an adult, they were presented with a watch by their parents or guardians and most would never take it off. In order to not drive suspicion to her age, she decided that it would be best to add one to her armor, making the chance of being seen as an adult bigger.

At last, there was a black choker necklace with a back gem around her neck, that worked as a voice changer. It wouldn't do to go around with a little girl's voice now would it? The necklace changed her voice to a deep gravelly tone, perfect for intimidation.

She was, over all, very pleased with her armor. She wondered if Charlie already had his... he had to, right? He'd been training for as long as she had, so of course he had to have armor...

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Several hours later the train stopped at the train station, parents and students alike looking for their family. Eventually she spotted her parents, Charlie already standing by them.

"Hi mum, dad." She spoke.

"Hi sweetie! How was your first term at Hogwarts-"

The rest of the afternoon was spent with catching up with each other. Of course, Charlie got all the attention. Jay had to nearly fight him to just get a single word in. While her parents were very interested in what Charlie had to say, Jay was mostly ignored for the night. They were impressed with his grades, even if they meant he would barely pass and fail potions, badly, while they didn't even ask for her grades.

Eventually she gave up trying to talk with them and tuned out most of the conversation.

Until she heard "-and I can't wait to see Paris!"

"Wait, what?"

The other Potters, Sirius and Remus –who had arrived just after dinner- looked at her.

"The trip to Paris we told you about. You know, the one that will take up most of the vacation." James replied, looking confused.

"You will be home for Christmas, right? You promised me that this year we would celebrate it together." She looked at her parents, who were not making eye contact with her.

"Well, you see sweetie, I know we promised but this is very important. After all, we will get to meet the Minister of France!" James exclaimed excitedly, as if that would make it all better. They were leaving her, AGAIN.

"You promised me! You promised that I wouldn't be alone on Christmas this year! How could you do this?!" She was now nearly screaming at them, and they had at least the gall to look ashamed. Except Lily.

"That is not a proper way for a young lady to behave! You should be happy for us that we will get such an amazing opportunity, and not act like a spoilt little girl, Jennifer!"

She could not believe what she just said.

Spoilt, her? The only thing she was spoilt in was the fact that while her parents were away, no one was around to tell her how to live her life. They neglected her. She realized this with a pang. They were almost never home, and when they were only undermined and forced her to be someone she was not. The other times they were home, they didn't even give her a second glance to make sure she was okay. And now this. They broke their promise, something she had been dreaming of for years now and they had the gall to call her spoilt for being angry?

They Neglected her and she was spoilt? Was that even possible?

And it was normal for kids to want their parents with them and not force them to be someone they were not. Parents didn't leave their child, age of five alone in a house for weeks at a time with no one other as house elves to take care of her. Parents didn't hurt their child by never being home or simply act like they didn't exist. Children shouldn't want their Christmas gift to be their parents being home for once.