[8] Mr. Detective

Matsukawa heard some fire trucks passing by, forcing him out of his sleep. He already had trouble sleeping so he was quite irritated. His phone illuminated from a silent notification.

Might as well... I don't think I'm gonna be able to go back to sleep.

Not too long ago, he downloaded an app that sent a notification whenever there was an emergency or crime reported nearby.

A fire just two miles away... and in the middle of the night in some random apartment... when was the last time that happened?

The app also gave live updates to situations such as these, reporting how the fire started and if it's being investigated as an arson.

Incident reported at 4:34am. Firefighters responded at 4:37am and arrived at the scene at 4:45am.

Firefighters report that there are two people in the apartment and are working to get them out. They are continuing their efforts to contain the fire.

Matsukawa scrolled through social media on his phone, unable to sleep, also looking out for a possible update. He lost track of time and tried to sleep, but couldn't. He finally got a notification.

This is now a two alarm fire.

Another firehouse? Must be serious. He sighed. He always wished that something interesting would happen in Miyagi, but not something like this.

The fire has been contained at 5:54am. Two victims have been taken out of the apartment and have reported dead at the scene.

He felt his heart sink into his stomach. Why couldn't they save them? Did they not wake up in time?

He forgot about sleeping since he had to get up in about half in hour anyways.

Firefighters report that the fire may have been an arson. Two incendiary devices were found at the scene at 6:00am.

Yeah, this was definitely going to be big news, he thought. An arson causing two deaths in Miyagi of all places?

—————

It was hard to put into words, but you didn't feel like you were in your body. You felt more like you were floating in the corner of the room, watching yourself wallow in misery on the bed. It was dirty and there was a rat family in the other corner, but you didn't care. You missed your house and your parents. You couldn't even think straight about your situation.

Oikawa popped his head into the attic. "Good morning, [F/N]." He has his uniform on, along with his bag hanging from his shoulder. He held a small plate with a sandwich. "How are you feeling?"

"Terrible," you mumbled. "Shit, Tōru... I don't have my uniform or my books-"

"You won't need it. Forget about school. You're going to stay here and recover. No one will be expecting you to go after that fire," he said, caressing your cheek. "Just get some rest."

"Does the school know already? I won't be punished for staying here?"

"Of course! They'd have to take it up with me otherwise," Oikawa said. "Oh, and my parents won't be back for a while, so you're gonna be alone. There are some books here if you're bored... your phone and stuff were all burnt, obviously."

"Don't remind me."

It was back and forth between resentment towards him and finding comfort in him. You wished that he was lying, that the fire never happened and that you're just in a nightmare... you don't know what to believe.