#23 Liam is... different around you.

Start from the beginning

She shot me a fake smile because she knows that one those sport weeks away would be anything but fun and for a person like me it was just asking for trouble.

"A week away with the jocks and the cheerleaders? I think I'll pass." I scoffed "besides, my parents are home that week and I actually want to spend time with them." 

"I figured as much. But hey, if you change your mind the offer still stands."

***

Loading my locker with heavy textbooks I turned around when I heard a familiar voice.

"Do you need a hug?" Jordan teased in my direction. 

I rolled my eyes, here we go again. There's not a day that goes by when he doesn't make fun of me, some days are easier than others and I prayed to all of the Gods that this was today. Tia still pleaded with me to reconsider my decision to turn down sports week but there was no way in hell I was going to change my mind.

Liam avoided me all day. There was a brief moment we crossed in the hallway, he didn't even look at me. During psychology Liam ditched and I knew it was probably because that was the lesson he couldn't not face me in. The whole situation was deflating, I would feel like I had inched closer to Liam slowly, but then he would take a massive step backwards, pulling further away from me. The bell rung and I gathered my things ready to move onto English Lit.

The hallways were busy as everyone scrambled to their next class. Preparing my mind for Tias bombardments of bribes and negotiations to try and get me to come with her on the sports trip I searched in my locker for my English lit book.

Out of nowhere I felt a sharp grip on my arm, fingers digging into my flesh causing my skin to turn pink. I looked around alarmed to find Jordan holding onto me tightly trying to pull me away.

"Olive, Liams freakin' out he's in the boys bathroom and he's smashin' it up. You need to go in there and stop him." His face was wild with urgency as he pulled me away from my locker by the death hold on my arm. 

"Me? Why me? What can I do?" 

My voice cried out extremely high pitched, and I matched Jordans urgent expression. He stopped dead in the middle of the corridor and looked at me like I had two heads. 

"Don't you see it?" He searched my face trying to figure out if I was playing him and I just stared back at him blankly, feeling beyond confused. "Liam is..." He paused, thinking hard about how he wanted to finish the sentence "Liam is... different around you."

My mind worked hard trying to comprehend what he just told me but I didn't fully understand it. Either way I continued to get yanked through the school hallways like he was the dog and I was his chew toy. The second bell rung out and the hallway immediately cleared, with every student piling into their classes. Jordan & I stood alone outside the boys bathroom. He nodded his head towards the door wordlessly telling me to enter. 

Anxiety coursed through me, Jordan was way off base here. There's no way I could rein Liam under control when he was spiraling into a bleak pit of anger. Liam was unpredictable at the best of times, I could get hurt. Jordan tensed next to me, sensing my hesitation.

"Olive, if you don't help him he'll be suspended from school and kicked off the soccer team." He looked at me like I was the only hope and as an afterthought he added "please." Something Jordan Peers has never, ever said to me.

I stood in the quiet of the school noise, listening to the muffled sounds of crashes and bangs coming from behind the door. In that moment I realized I had to try. The only time Liam is completely carefree and happy is when he's playing soccer. If I had an opportunity to try and prevent him from getting kicked off the team I needed to take it.