Chapter 4 - Kaito and Co. Plus One

"Alright, Let's do this!" I exclaimed.

After our humiliating defeat at the hands of the toads, we returned to regain our dignity.

There was already a toad heading toward us.

"It'll take awhile for me to charge my explosion spell, so I need you to keep the toads at bay until I'm ready to cast it."

"Got it. You ready, Kazuma?"

"Sure. Hopefully it isn't anything like last time."

"Kazuma, Kazuma..."

"Yes, I'm Kazuma."

"...There's another toad in that direction."

Aqua pointed in the opposite direction, and there was indeed, another toad.

Kazuma thought quickly. "Megumin, target the one further away. As for the nearer one, Kaito, Aqua, and I will take it." Then Kazuma turned to Aqua. "Hey Aqua, aren't you a former something-or-other? Why not show off some of your former ability?"

"What do you mean by 'former'? I am a goddess! Present tense!"

"...Goddess?" Megumin questioned.

"Oh, she just calls herself one. It's rather sad. She blurts out stuff like this at times. It's best not to pay it any mind."

"How sad..."

Kazuma thought it would be best if Megumin didn't know that Aqua was a 'goddess.'

"W-What? These frogs may be strong against physical attacks, but this time I'll definitely succeed. Allow me to show you the power of a goddess!"

"-Aqua, wait!"

Aqua charged at the toad. Not learning from her mistakes, she proceeded to get eaten by the toad.

"She'll buy us some time," said I.

Megumin began casting Explosion.

"Darkness blacker than black and darker than dark..."

As Megumin started her chant. The air began to tremble. Her eye glowed a bright red and a vast amount of energy concentrated on the tip of her staff.

"...I beseech thee, combine with my deep crimson. The time of awakening cometh. Justice, fallen upon the infallible boundary, appear now as an intangible distortion! Dance, dance, dance! I desire for my torrent of power a destructive force: a destructive force without equal! Return creation to cinders, and come from the abyss...!"

"This is some amazing power..." I muttered.

"...This is the mightiest means of attack known to man; the ultimate attack magic...! Explosion!"

A brilliant, bright light flashed throughout the plains. A loud reverberating bang sounded, and a strong wind nearly blew Kazuma and myself away. A massive, violent explosion left a large crater where the toad once stood.

"Woah... So this is magic..." said Kazuma.

As Kazuma and I stood in awe, a third toad climbed out of the ground. It was probably awakened by the shockwave of the blast.

"That toad is too close for Megumin to use her explosion magic again. We need to retreat and get some distance," Kazuma ordered.

"Right. Megumin, let's- huh?" I turned to see Megumin face down on the ground.

"Though my ultimate spell, Explosion, possesses tremendous might, it consumes a tremendous amount of mana. In short, I used magic exceeding my ability, and now I can't move a muscle..."