06. Traditions of the New and Old

Start from the beginning

“At least you won’t be in this alone. That’s one of the things about marriage, you are not alone anymore. If you get dragged down under, so will I.”

“That’s supposed to make me feel better?”

“If it helps any, then yes.”

“Okay, but be prepared. My family is crazy.”

“I read what you wrote. Are you worried about your aunt?” Bee askes.

“That aunt?” Chia, wided eyed,  joins in on our conversation, “She’s going to be there?”

I could only nod and say, “Yup. That aunt is going to be there.”

“Let the drama ensue!” Chia montonessly said.

“It can’t be that bad,” Bee said to us.

“Stop trying to be upbeat about the fact that she is going to make you guys the shit talk of the town. If I was you, I would be preparing for the worse. I don’t even know how Luna and her family has been dealing with a witch like that.” Chia shook her head in wonder.

“So should we go find a cave, and plan our whole life there?”

“That does sound like a good idea,” I said.

Our conversation takes up the whole half of the car ride. We were finally to my parents house, a place I could no longer call my own. I had not seen the place for two weeks and even though it was just a short period of time, I felt nostalgic over all the memories I had shared there.

Bee’s father found parking on the side of the road, and we waited for all of Bee’s side to get ready for the start of our wedding.

I closed my eyes, my heart was pounding. Butterflies flew and twirled in my stomach. My heart was pounding against my skin, wanting a way out. I went dizzy, and a wave of nausea passed through me. Tears fought to escape the corner of my eyes. My hands fussed around in my laps.

I could hear myself whimper, I wanted to stop it, I didn’t want to be so weak. Another realization of what this day meant hit me, this one the hardest, as we waited to be invited into my parents house.

A hand was placed over my own. As I felt it cover mine, calming me down from over worrying, I looked up to find the owner. Of course, it was Bee.

Pulling my hands away from the embrace of his, I said, “I’m fine.”

“Okay. I know you are,” Bee said, nodding, “Let’s go.”

We get out of the car and pile behind the line of Bee’s family. At the front of the line, Bee’s elder, who came to represent his family, were carrying on their duties of getting us into the house.

The process only took a few minutes, and while waiting I could see my sisters behind the uncles who had come represent my families side. Tina, strangely, was recording the event.

After being allowed into the house, we walk in.

I walk pass the threshold with Chia by my side, and inside the house I can see all my sisters and mother. They huddle around each other, waiting for our entrance. The second I see them, I could not hold it in, sobs break through me and I am a mess in minutes. There is so much water around my eyes, my vision goes blurry.

Through the fuss, Chia grabs a hold of me and leads me in.

“Sit her down on the couch,” I hear one of my sister yell out.

“Why are you crying!?” a voice in the crowd yells.

I was unreasonably mad, there was hatred running through me. Why did this have to happen to me? My crying was not because it was my wedding day and I was going to lose my family, my parents. I was crying for my freedom, my independence, my life.