Chapter 1: The Only One

Start from the beginning

After the bell rang Gaara put his CD player away and walked to first period, which was math. He looked around and saw Hinata standing near him. Then there were other people like Itachi, Naruto, Sasuke, Kimimaro and this blue guy who was new. Gaara didn't want to get in a fight the first day back to school. It's true. He might not talk, but he knows how to kick people asses and almost got kicked out last year.

Class started and the teacher was talking about the rules. In this class 12th graders and 11th graders share this class, there were a lot of 12th graders in his class. They aren't the nicest people either. Itachi tried every year to get Gaara to talk and go out with him but it never worked. So Itachi did things to Gaara knowing that the kid will never tell anyone. A lot of guys and girl did things to him. They would start fights pick on him, call him names, even hit on him and some did the worst things they could think of. Gaara hated Itachi and his friends the most.

In the middle of the class the teacher was already making them do work. Gaara sat in the back of the room working on a math paper. The teacher was reading a book and didn't mind the class talking as long as they were getting work done. He was working on the last problem when he heard a soft voice next to him. Gaara looked up at Hinata and asked in a low voice-that no one could hear him in, at least hope no one could- "What did you say, Hinata?"

"I asked if you needed help with the last problem. I can help you." Hinata had a shy smile and blushed.

"Yeah, if you want to help." Gaara smiled but stopped smiling when he saw a shadow behind him. Gaara didn't look, he knew who it was.

"So the mute talks after all." Itachi grabbed Gaara's chin and made Gaara look at him. "Why don't you talk mute? I'm sure you got a lot to say." Itachi leaned down to Gaara's ear and said, "I know you scream when you're with me and my friends." He pulled away after saying that to see Gaara's face. Gaara got his chin out of Itachi's hand, but Itachi grabbed him again and made him look into his eyes.

"We need to have another fun day. So let it be today after school. Tell your brother that someone will bring you home later tonight. Got me?" Itachi left go of his chin and stared at the redhead. Gaara shook his head and tried to get up to leave but he couldn't leave when Kimimaro and that blue guy stopped him. Gaara looked up at the boys to let him leave.

Kimimaro looked at Itachi then back to Gaara. "Sorry brat, but you're not going anywhere. So sit your ass down. Or do we have to make you?" Kimimaro looked at Gaara and smiled evilly. Gaara sat back down and looked down at his desk. He wanted the class to be over. Then he could try to find his brother.

(Lunch)

Gaara's day got worst by the time it was lunch. He walked into the café and saw his brother sitting at a table. He went over and sat with him, then laid his head on the table.

"Gaara, are you okay?" Kankurou knew that his brother had a bad day again. He saw Gaara look up at him.

"After school some people want me to go with them. Can a ride home later tonight?" Gaara waited for an answer. He knew Kankurou would say yes.

"Okay, but you got to be home early today. By 5 the latest. Temari is having friends over and we all need to be there." Kankurou knew Gaara didn't have friends and he had a feeling that he should have said no. He didn't want Gaara coming home hurt again. And he did hear from friends that Itachi and his boys were after his brother.

The rest of the lunch time they talked about what classes they were taking and the work they had to do. Gaara asked Kankurou to do his homework and Kankurou agreed to only help.

(Roku: I'm lazy so I'm going to go to the end of the school day.)

Gaara was waiting outside for his brother. He wanted to talk to Kankurou before being force to go with Itachi and the others. He was sitting on the wall as someone came up behind him. He turned hopping to see Kankurou but it was Hinata.