Epilogue [Day Twenty-nine]

Start from the beginning

"Well not many places tend to be open at this time, probably because most people aren't up at this ungodly hour" I smile to the ceiling. Even when we're taking a break from youtube, our sleep schedules are still as fucked up as ever.

Darryl plants a kiss on my forehead, his fingers not leaving my hair. They wrap around little strands, making them go all curly. "Oh I think you know a place that's still open at this time."

My eyes light up, which is strange. For some reason, the place he's talking about makes me smile contagiously whenever mentioned.

"The coffee shop doesn't close for another hour at least" he adds. I smile, checking the clock once more. 12:14, we'd have just over an hour there.

And I can't help but laugh at the number 14. It seems almost like tradition now. There's no way I can ever see the number fourteen and not laugh.

"Perfect! I'm starving." My stomach growls in protest, signifying my point. I carefully climb off of Darryl, turning on the light before we trip. With newfound energy I rush towards my bedroom door, only to be held away from it.

"Quiet you muffin! Vincent is still here." Darryl does a bad job of presenting his voice, whisper-yelling at me so loudly he probably could've woken Vincent up.

"I'm already awake Bad, and you're terrible at keeping quiet" Vincent mutters from the living room.

I stick my tongue out at Darryl, blowing a raspberry like the child I am. Deciding I can now be as loud as I want, I tug my sleeve from his grip and run at full force into the living room.

Sat at one of the stools is Vincent, a spoonful of cereal in his hand. There's a pretty large bowl in front of him, full of lucky charms. "What sort of cereal do you Americans have?! It's so sugary."

The French boy pushes his sleep mask further up his face, which was previously threatening to cover his eyes. It rather closely resembles the bandana from his Minecraft skin.

"French cereal must be bland. What do you have, oatmeal?" I give him an odd look of disgust, passing by to grab mine and Darryl's coats. On the way back, I push the sleep mask down over his eyes, giggling quietly as Darryl shakes his head in disappointment.

"Don't be mean to the French muffin!" he yells, completely forgetting we're in an apartment complex and he's definitely going to end up waking someone up.

"Yeah Zak what the fuck..." Vincent retorts tiredly, pulling off the sleep mask entirely and using the elastic to catapult it across the room. "Language!" Darryl walks towards me, taking his coat and poking Vincent in the side.

We shrug on our coats, both of us looking around for the notebooks by force of habit. Bright smiles illuminate both of our faces once we remember where they are, laughing it off.

I yell a goodbye to Vincent, Darryl doing the same. "Enjoy your date lovebirds" Vincent snorts, earning a glare from Darryl as I close the door.

~~~

The coffee shop looks as empty as ever for this hour. Inside there's only one person, who I don't recognise. Darryl does, greeting them as 'Callahan' before ordering for us both.

I decide to sit back upstairs, in the seats where the notebooks fiasco began. Darryl seems to notice, looking at the two sets of tables we transferred between that night.

"I thought it was that one" he says, pointing towards the table we moved to later on. "No, it was this one. I completely drenched this seat as a pathetic sobbing mess and we moved over there after."