yamaguchi | a ghost?

Start from the beginning

Maybe there were two reasons you were following him home.

Suddenly, the boy stopped walking. He slowly turned around to face you, and his face read a mixed expression of fear, irritation, and confusion.

"Excuse me, but do you need something?"

'I feel delusional.'

You blinked your eyes and did a 180° to see no other human in sight. You rotated again to face freckles and pointed to your chest.

"Me?"

"Yes you."

You took a moment to process what was going on before vanishing once again.

HE CAN SEE ME!

You flew above the clouds faster than the human eye could track and chewed on your nails as you stared down across the town.

I don't believe this.

He can see—AND HEAR ME?! Is he a yōkai disguised as a human or something?

It wasn't long before you decided to go back down and confront Freckles. He hadn't moved an inch since you last saw him.

You made yourself visible to the boy and stood in front of him.

"So you can see me," you said.

He drew his eyes downwards to your own and shakily nodded his head.

"Who... are you?" his voice trembled.

You gave him a soft smile before extending a hand, "(l/n) (y/n), it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

He hesitantly reached for your palm, but he passed straight through your body. "Wh-what the—"

"Oh, my bad," you mumbled and made it possible for him to make physical contact.

Woah that feels weird.

You pulled away and floated in the air, your hands intertwined behind your head. "So, basically I'm a ghost, I prefer the term 'spirit' though—makes me sound cooler," you said, watching as his expression only twisted with more bewilderment. "B-but I'm friendly and everything. I won't hurt you."

Freckles slowly nodded his head as he processed this new information. "S-so... I can see ghosts?" he gulped. "Spirits," you corrected him under your breath, "but yes, you can see ghosts."

"Wait—actually, can you see that man sitting over there?" you asked, pointing towards an older spirit who sat atop a plastic bin. He noticed your gesture and gave a friendly wave.

"N-no, there's no one there," the boy stuttered. You nodded your head and rose your finger to your chin. "Interesting..."

"Correction, you can't see ghosts, you can only see me!" you beamed, holding a proud thumb to your chest.

"Is that a good thing?" he asked, still a bit shaken by the whole affair.

"Eh, depends on what you make of it," you shrugged. "Say, what's your name anyways?"

"Y-yamaguchi..." he said, "Yamaguchi Tadashi."

"Hm, Tadashi... I like it!" you watched as Yamaguchi's face flushed a light pink.

You don't get compliments that often, do ya?

You slowly descended towards the ground, landing gracefully on one toe. "You can calm down, Tadashi-kun. There's no need to be so tense. I'm just a soul like you," you said, "but without a body..." you mumbled the last part to yourself in a slightly bitter manner.