two

──────────────────THE WEEK OF THE DISASTER

──────────────────
THE WEEK OF THE DISASTER

   THE BLUE waves hit the sand as i sat on the beach watching the sunset happen in front of me. It was finally summer and i graduated high school, so now i could spend as much time as i wanted at the beach, alone.

"genevieve!" i heard someone yell from the distance

I looked up from the cluster of words i was trying to read, but with the orange sun in front of me and the clouds coving it up once and a while it was pointless. Kiara ran towards me, her surfboard under her arm and a grin on her face.

"hey, we missed you today." she dropped her board and sat on my towel with me

"yeah sorry." i squinted my eyes for a second as the sun hit them "i had to deal with my mom, and i've been here since twelve."

"you know you're always welcome to stay at john's house." i nodded my head "so what are you doing tonight?"

"probably deal some more with my mom." i looked out to the ocean "she's been getting worse.... sometimes i can hear her crying in the shower about how shitty her life is."

"i'm sorry. you can always stay at my house if needed."

I laid my head on her shoulder as we both stared out to the ocean and listened to the water. The ocean is just a place i can go and let everything out because home life isn't the best and it's never is.

"we're going out tomorrow— if you want to come."

"i can't. my mom is making me do a barry run before the hurricane hits." i sighed

"i can't believe she makes you do her drug runs for her."

"it's because she's too drunk to even walk out of the house."

"you can always go live with your dad." i glimpsed down at my book— i couldn't read the words anymore because darkness now took over the sky.

"i know, he always offers when i see him, but i feel like my mom needs me more."

"i'll always be here for you genevieve."

"thank you."

We stayed watching the ocean in the dark until kiara had to head home for dinner and i had to go eat a granola bar— my wonderful dinner.

   I WALKED into my small house and the smell of alcohol hit my nose immediately. Maybe with my luck, she would be asleep tonight?

"genevieve?" my mom slurred

"it's me, mom," i said loud enough so she would hear me

"do you have the new stash?"

"n-no mom i'm doing that tomorrow."