~6~

"Well, I understand, but are you sure?" my mum asked me. It was morning, but still dark outside. The sun was slowly beginning to peak out from under the ground. I don't think any of us slept well last night.
"We sort of have to. I can't explain it."
"Yes I know, the dreams are calling you out. Their technology truly has evolved since when I was there."
"Will you let us go?" I asked anxiously.
"I won't interfere in the ways of the Walkers. Let's look for tickets now before they sell out," she pulled up the computer and started searching for plane tickets and quickly found a flight leaving tomorrow morning, " This will do. I will bring your precious belongings and your bed to the shelter along with your clothes. Unless you want to bring those there?"
"I'll bring some spare clothes and maybe a few photographs. The rest I'll leave with you."
"Yes, and bring water and food for the way. And wear good shoes. Your hiking boots and your sports shoes. Bring both. And bring a spare power bank for your phone."
"Okay perfect I can do that."
"Do you think my parent will let me?" piped in Maria all of a sudden.
"They were Walkers too, but don't worry I will call them later and talk to them. I can take you home so you can pack your shelter stuff and your bag for Norway."
"That's great, thank you very much."
"And as for you Leah I will speak to your father though I'm sure he will agree. In the meantime, start packing your bags and preparing for your travel. Take what you think you might need like flashlights and first aid stuff. Just like you would for your hikes."

We both went up to my room after breakfast while my mum phoned Maria's parents.
"Well I think my mum said pretty much most of what we needed."
"Yes, but we should take toiletries too in case we shelter in their base."
"Yes wow I hadn't thought of that. We'll have to leave our parents and our family."
"Hopefully it won't be forever."
"Yeah, hopefully."
And we started making a list of what to take, and started packing my bag with necessities. Torch, fleece, spare leggings and spare shirt, water bottle, disinfectant, band-aids, bandages, food. I put out a pair of black leggings, a hoodie, and a simple T-shirt for tomorrow. Underwear, toiletries, deodorant. That was all we would need and probably more. I also found a collapsible knife I had used on a few hikes and put that in just in case. Chargers. I charged my phone and a couple of power banks, renewed my 4G, downloaded maps of the area we were going to. Cash for the taxi, passports. Somehow it all fit into my bag and didn't weigh so much. In a suitcase, I packed up a few photographs, my memory box and a few prized possessions, like my camera, laptop and wireless headphones. Lastly I packed most of my clothes and added my little stuffed dog. I didn't want to leave him here to die, despite the fact that I was 15 years old. My room looked so bare with all the photos in my bag instead of the wall. The poems I had written too were not where they had been for the last few years.
Reality sunk in. I was leaving. The planet was dying. I was about to abandon my family and my community preparing for the shelters. About to go to Norway to look for the Walkers. Life as I knew it was over, and had been over since yesterday morning when the screens turned black, the radio shut off and lights went out.
I looked around. All this, my room, the walls I had knows my entire life, were about to go. They would likely be destroyed in the heat produced by the solar storms. I checked to see if there was anything else I wanted to save. I eyed my books sadly. There was space for a few of my favourites in my suitcase still and how could I leave these behind? There. Nothing else in this room had any lasting value for me. My schoolwork was all online and classes wouldn't be taking place for the time being anyway. I don't know what they will decide once stuck in the shelter, but from what I had heard, the bunkers were pretty spacious and stretched over most of the world. It was probably under my house right now. I took one last look at my room, an almost empty shell of what it used to be. I would be sleeping in this bed for the last time tonight, at least for a while.