Quiet One

I gathered my henchmen

     To carry out my plan.

     Soon you will love me.

     When I bring you back again.

     The prison was murky. The air seemed stale and carried a heavy dose of unwashed bodies. The walls seemed to be melting with mold, and the roof leaked the dirty toilet water coming to and from the prison cells. I walked along the dimly lit halls, scanning each cell until I found the person I was looking for. I leaned against the wall outside his cell, watching him sulk. He simply sat on his cot, staring at the floor.

     "Just think, you used to be a big name on the streets."

     He didn't look up. I grinned under my hood and continued.

     "Now look at you. You're sulking in a prison cell. How pathetic."

     "What do you want?" The prisoner grumbled. He peered at me. "Who are you anyway?"

     Shrouded in the faded light, dressed in dark attire, the prisoner couldn't make out any of my distinguishing features, which was oddly satisfying. "I go by many names," I said. "As do you. But I happen to know you by your most known name," I leaned close to the bars. "Killow."

     His face twisted into an uncomfortable stare. "So, you know my name. And? Have you come only to mock me?"

     "No," I backed away from the bars. "I've come to offer you something. You see, I see potential in you."

     "Potential," Killow laughed, "If you're looking to get me working for those police then it's not going to happen."

     "You laugh now," I said, "but tomorrow you're being moved to Kryptarium Prison. Good luck getting out there."

     His features became serious.

     "Listen closely," I taunted. "Swear loyalty to me, and I can save you."

     He couldn't hold the straight face. "Loyalty? Like I'll do that. I don't even know you. No one is the master of me except me."

     "Would these change your mind?" I whipped out the prison cell keys. Killow's mouth dropped open.

     "H-how in Ninjago did you get your hands on those?"

     I fidgeted with the keys. "Let's say I have a talent for taking things away from people." I stepped up to the bars again. "I'm not asking much. I just want your loyalty, or you can live your life in prison. Don't say that it's not much of a choice. If you stay in here, you'll be trapped but, at least you will be taken care of and sheltered. If you come to me, I cannot promise safety."

     His eyebrows raised. "What kind of danger are you going to pull me into?"

     I cast him a sly glance. "You'll have to find out."

     "You're the type who likes to play games, aren't you? Very well, I'll join your cause."

     I smirked and tossed him the keys. "I don't care who else you let out; in case you were wondering. Just follow the southwest subway until you reach an abandoned track. That will lead you to your new living quarters."

     Killow unlocked the door and stepped out. "One last question," he said, towering over me. "Who are you?"

     I turned and walked away, giving him only a sentence. It was all that was needed. "You can call me, the Quiet One."