"I hunt just as much as you and every other apprentice and you know it," Breezepaw hissed. "Really, I'm impressed you caught anything. You sure you still don't want any of my advice about fishing?"

"I am a good hunter, and it was a great catch, Brackenstep said so himself!" Cedarpaw shot back. "Keep your smelly fish. I bet Dahliaskip would prefer dry prey anyway."

"Actually, I think I might just try some gerbil myself, if it's really such a good catch," Breezepaw decided nonchalantly.

Somewhere deep down, Cedarpaw knew he should just let it go. Scowl and turn tail and lick his wounds in the apprentice's den for a while to calm down. Wasn't a good warrior supposed to manage their rage even in a heated battle? Instead, though, Cedarpaw welcomed the hot, hot blood that swirled beneath his pelt.

And as suddenly as it came, it was all gone. His limbs suddenly seemed heavier, the rush of adrenaline had died down, and he couldn't quite be sure how Ravenmoon had ended up between him and Breezepaw.

"What in the name of Stars has gotten into both of you this time?" Ravenmoon demanded, glancing sternly between them. "Cedarpaw, we've discussed keeping your temper in check before. Breezepaw, as my kit, I'd expect you to conduct yourself more respectfully with your peers."

"He started it," Breezepaw sneered, glaring at Cedarpaw. "Besides, it's not my fault the freak doesn't know how to make friends."

This time, Cedarpaw didn't have a retort handy. Because, this time, Breezepaw was actually right. He really had started it, hadn't he? And for what? Just because he'd anticipated Breezepaw doing the same?

"...Well, it looks to me like Cedarpaw is plenty sorry about everything," Ravenmoon observed kindly. "Aren't you, Cedarpaw?"

"I am," Cedarpaw agreed hastily, trying not to choke on his words. "I'm really sorry, Breezepaw... You can have the gerbil."

"No, I'm sorry too," Breezepaw sighed. "It was a stupid thing to say, on both our ends. Go ahead and let Dahliaskip and the kits have it."

"That's a bit more like it," Ravenmoon purred. "You know, if you two can keep getting along so well tomorrow, I might consider letting you come to the Moonshine Conclave tomorrow."

"Really?" Both apprentices shared the same expression of shock and eager hopefulness.

I've been before, but that doesn't make it any less exciting to go!

Is the river going to be deeper this time?

What kinds of cats will be there?

...Will the other apprentices like me?

"We'll just have to see if you two can behave yourselves until then," Ravenmoon replied teasingly. "Cedarpaw, after you give Dahliaskip that prey I'd like you to help Swallowfall sort herbs for a while."

"Yes, Ravenmoon," Cedarpaw replied, dipping his head. I guess getting out of this without some kind of punishment was too much to hope for...

***

Cedarpaw trundled into the apprentice's den feeling thoroughly beat. Swallowfall had been very kind, and even offered him some chamomile to help him relax once he'd finished his work. His nest was next to his sister's, and he could see that Sablepaw and Palepaw were already asleep in theirs.

Firepaw must still be out, or stuffing himself at the fresh-kill pile, lucky furball.

"You look and smell like a dead cat walking," Robinpaw teased, gently brushing against his fur in greeting. "...I heard you and Breezepaw went at it again. Do you want me to find another beetle to put in his nest?"

"No, it's all been sorted," Cedarpaw laughed. "What about you? Catch anything while you were out with Stagblaze?"

"I wish," Robinpaw groaned, flopping into her nest with a dramatic flourish. "No, my mentor just had me swimming in the river all day. Not even fishing!"

"I'm sure you'll get to hunt tomorrow then," Cedarpaw assured her, settling down into his own nest.

"Probably," Robinpaw agreed. "I suppose I just feel like complaining since I'm tired out from it."

"I know I'm about ready to get some sleep," Cedarpaw purred. "I think there must be more herbs in Swallowfall's den than hairs on my pelt!"

"Could I keep you up for just a moment longer?"

"You're keeping us all up, cloud-brains," Sablepaw groaned, flicking her tail irritably.

"Sablepaw, don't be grumpy, your brother only just came in," Palepaw yawned.

"What do you want, Breezepaw?" Robinpaw growled. "I think Cedarpaw has had quite enough of you for one day."

"I told you it's all fine," Cedarpaw cut in sheepishly. "Although, what did you want, Breezepaw?"

"I was just thinking it might be a good idea for us to agree to a truce," Breezepaw explained. "We're already going to be trying to keep out of each other's fur. Don't you think it would be a good idea to make the whole thing official, at least until then?"

"...I think I can agree to that," Cedarpaw decided. "Claws and tongues sheathed until after the Moonshine Conclave."

"Right, that's settled then," Breezepaw agreed. After sniffing the air, he added, "You know, I think I remember Hollypaw telling me that lavender or thyme can make a cat feel calmer without making them sleepy like chamomile does."

"I've never tried lavender," Cedarpaw admitted. "Thyme is just for starshock, I think. Thanks for the tip."

Breezepaw had apparently run out of things to say, because he only offered a small nod before finally curling up in his nest. Sablepaw and Palepaw had watched their interaction with apparent curiosity, but soon flopped back over. Robinpaw had dozed off about halfway through.

Maybe it's not always perfect, but this is home. I really wouldn't give it up for anything.

Yawning, Cedarpaw curled up himself. It had been a fairly usual, if tiring, day. He was more than happy to cling to this sudden feeling of warmth as the sound of the other apprentices' breathing gently lulled him to sleep.