The defeated Gally looked over at me, questioning if I was going to leave him. Which ever decision he made I knew I'd have to stick with him, "Good luck against the grievers," was all he said.

I felt the focus shift to me. I just wanted to disappear, sink into the ground beneath me. I almost wished the griever that followed me up the tree had gotten me so I wouldn't have to make this impossible decision right now.

"Marty..." I heard someone murmur. It was Newt who had taken a step out from the group, "Please, come with us. There's nothing left, you know that."

My heart was tearing in half. I loved Gally and I couldn't abandon him. If we did make it out of the maze, I would never be able to live with myself knowing I left him behind. On the other hand, Newt and all the boys who made me the person I am today yanked on my arm. I'd be losing a large piece of myself if I let them go that I knew I'd never be able to get back. They couldn't wait for me any longer. I promised myself I would do what's best for them, but my heart was intruding on that decision.

"I'm sorry. I can't."

Newt frowned but I knew he understood better than anyone else here. I had helped them get this far, but this was where my path ended. I watched as they turned and started to run down the dark corridor. I knew that I would likely never see them again, but it didn't fully sink in. I watched them as their figures got smaller and smaller and eventually they vanished. None of them had looked back at me or the Glade.

I was the last one standing at the gate. Everyone else had gone back to working or trying to clean up the Glade, which seemed pointless to me. I needed a break from everyone, from everything. I couldn't continue like this, constantly living in the unknown.

I walked away from the remaining Gladers and wandered over to the Deadheads. Someone had told me earlier that the Map room had been completely destroyed - which included my bow. I stopped at the opening of the forest where the trees welcomed me inside and wanted me to take a look. That familiar anxiety of standing too close to the maze was brewing. Both places had been associated with too much trauma. Even the Deadheads which I once trusted as my tranquility, my escape from fear, had become my enemy.

I took a seat exactly where I was, unsure of what to do or feel next. I felt another presence move in behind me. When I looked, of course it was Gally. He didn't say anything and took a seat beside me.

We sat in an awkward silence until he finally spoke up, "Why didn't you go with them?" he mumbled.

I gave it a minute of thought before I answered, "Because I couldn't leave you."

It was silent again. A wanted to take his hand and embrace him, but then I realized I only wanted the old Gally. Not the one who was willing to sacrifice Thomas and Teresa.

"I know we don't stand a chance here." He said with his face downcast.

"Then why didn't you leave?" I asked.

"Because I'm trying to keep you safe. " His voice raised a bit then settled back down, "Staying here is the only way I know how. Besides, I can't go back into the maze."

He wasn't fully gone. Minho was right, he was willing to give up anything for me and I hadn't even noticed, "How come?"

"Since that night, when Thomas ran into the maze with us. I've had nightmares almost every night since then, kind of like yours I guess. " His soft eyes started to turn puffy, "I followed Thomas the whole time b-because I was terrified. I was a coward, Marty"

I placed one of my hands on top of his and gripped it tightly, "Why didn't you tell me this?" I asked softly.

"Because I didn't want you worrying about me." He said.

I couldn't help myself, I leaned towards him and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He hesitated but eventually reciprocated it, "I'll always be here, I'm never going to leave you. I love you." He only responded with a sniff, but I didn't need to hear him speak to know what he wanted to say.

* * *

The sky was slowly starting to turn yellow as we all grew more anxious for the evening. Gally had told me he was feeling faint, so I advised him to lie down. Jeff had left with the others making me the only Med-jack around.

I went to the watering hole to get water for Gally. The water wasn't very cold and reminded me of the day we were both splashing in here, when our worries were reduced. I remember in the early days of my existence in the Glade, Minho and a few other boys thought it would be funny if they played a joke on me.

I had been asleep, I remember feeling exhausted from the night before. They told me they carefully lifted me out of my hammock and carried me over to one of the cots in the Med-hut. They let me down and lifted me up, transporting me to the little lake. They told me I was snoring a lot, I refused to believe that. The next thing I knew my whole back was soaked as I sunk deeper into the water. It was early in the morning, so the water was freezing cold. It certainly didn't help that I didn't know how to swim. I remember Alby running out and jumping into the water to help me, he wasn't very amused by the whole situation.

I smiled to myself as I recalled how Gally threatened Minho that day. He wasn't going to hurt him, but seeing the pale look on Minho's face was the funniest thing I'd seen that day.

I finished collecting the water into the canister then I started heading back towards the Med-hut. I was daydreaming and solemnly reminiscing old memories when George, one of the boys I was trapped in the cage with last night, came running over. He looked frantic which caused me to panic inside a little, "George?" I questioned, "Is everything okay?'

"No!" he panted, "Gally just ran off into the maze!" I dropped the canteen and froze. Why would he? He just told me he was too afraid to go. I told George that he was in charge for now and ordered him to keep the others safe until I got back.

I sprinted across the grass and over to the main gate. I looked down the dingy entrance and caught a little flash of Gally deep into the maze, turning around the corner. I had no choice. I had to force the bubbling anxiety to subside as I took a step into the mouth of the maze. I glanced back, taking in one last look of our Glade, then ran after the boy.

——
Unedited