Chapter Fourteen

I woke up to the sweet song of the birds chirping overhead. For a moment I didn't realize where I was, my pillow felt unfamiliar. I felt my surroundings while my sleep coated eyes still adjusted to the morning. I rubbed the fogginess from my eyes and noticed a strong hand rested on my thigh, I was still in Gally's arms. I shifted a little, my body stiff from the position I fell asleep in last night.

Gally slowly rose, his eyes still tired just like mine, "Hey." he soothed, taking his hand and fiddling with the hair at the back of my head, his face soft and gentle.

My legs felt more warm and covered than the rest of my body, "How'd I get here?" I asked after I took notice of the blanket over me. The inside of the Med-Hut was surprisingly bright. I could hear Alby's heavy breathing just across the thin border of sticks between us.

"You started shivering, so I carried you inside." Gally uttered.

Most people didn't see this kinder side to him. The one that surfaced from behind his intimidating mask. My heart was knocking on the door, it was tired of being shut out, pushed away, of being forgotten. I was tired too. If we really were to make it out of the maze, it probably won't be pretty. I couldn't waste this limited time many longer. I placed my hand around his cheek, and he held it with his other hand. I hesitated, unsure if I'd be able to go back from keeping my emotions locked away after this. I leaned forward just as I tried to last night, except this time uninterrupted. Our lips met and a refreshing feeling washed over me, like a cold drink after a long hot day. I wanted so desperately for the world to pause, give me more time to appreciate his lips and him in general. I feel like I needed to lock his moment in and memorize  every aspect of it, just in case this was the last time. His lips only adjusted once, not turning it into anything more than a gentle yet passionate kiss. He pulled me closer in an embrace and I didn't resist, but I still felt like I needed more of him. His voice, his lips, the way he glares at me when he's annoyed, all things I never wanted to lose.

Our lips carefully let go, but mutually. My hand trailed down from his cheek to his shoulder and his arm fit perfectly around the small of my back, holding me close. His soft lips traced down my jawline and followed the path down to my neck. I giggled softly at the stimulation of my sensitive skin, "Gally," I whispered, unsure if it was even loud enough for him to hear.

"mm hm?" he responded with his face still nuzzled in my neck.

I couldn't wait, each word I said diligently, I was ready to let it out into the world, "I love you."

He stopped what he was doing and looked up at me, our faces no more than two inches apart. His hand moved a piece of hair around my ear then cupped around my cheek, his hand quickly falling down my neck then rested on my chest. No one spoke for a moment, anxiety slowly started to settle in my stomach, "I knew I was in love with you the day you survived the maze. " His thumb wiped away the tear that I was too focused to even notice it. He bought me close and placed a tender kiss upon my forehead.

I heard a groan come from the other side of the separation. I had forgotten Alby was here, "I'll go check on him." I whispered. I reached for the canister of water that hung from the wall, Alby hadn't eaten or drank much the past few days. The vibrant blue veins he had settled now and were only faint streaks. The gash where he'd been stung was now flesh coloured but still needed much time to heal. I placed my hand over his forehead, he wasn't sweating anymore but he was still warm to the touch, "Alby." I stirred, hoping he'd wake up just enough to drink. He only responded with a moan, "Can you sit up a little for me?" He did nothing, except his eyes fluttered ever so slightly. I attempted to wrap my arm around his back and hold him up, but he was too heavy, "Gally, can you help?" Gally came around the corner, his face was tired but still carried some happiness with him. He came over and lifted up Alby from under his arms allowing me to put the canteen to his lips. He took very small gulps, but it was enough for now.