7 | Luka

"Luka!" I hear Meiko exclaim as she weaves through dancers prancing and crew members frolicking, clutching a pretty-looking costume veiled in a plastic bag. Abruptly, I turn my head to face her, and she appears at my side with a smile before thrusting the dress into my arms. "Look, I found your costume! It's sooo pretty, and my gosh the colour is adorable!"

Curiously, I hold up the dress, admiring it through the transparent bag — and I kid you not, for a brief moment, it took my breath away. The dress is a soft blue, the colour of a clear tropical ocean. Tiny sequins and rhinestones line the seams, and a large bow is placed daintily above the skirt which flows with every minor movement.

At that moment, an unexpected emotion surges through me, a feeling I didn't know what possible — I feel excited, like today isn't going to be the worst day of my life, after all. Maybe today will be the day that fuels my passion for dance once more, the day that will save me from the wrath of my parents upon telling them I want to call it quits? I really hope so.

"It's beautiful," I mutter, still looking at the dress in awe and taking in every little detail. Meiko claps her hands together enthusiastically, a manner similar to that of an excitable child on Christmas morning.

"I know, right? It also comes with a matching headpiece, and girl let me tell you, you are going to turn some heads today!" She buzzes, before beckoning me towards the changing rooms and practically shoving me into one of the cubicles. "Come on, come on, put it on! I can't wait much longer!"

I chuckle to myself, thoroughly amused by my impatient brunette friend. "Alright, I'll be just a moment," I yell in response as she draws the curtain across, trying to make myself heard over the distant music and chattering of lingering participants.

Carefully, I unzip the bag and gently pull the costume out, cradling it in my arms, the material soft and delicate. Yet another wave of excitement rushes through me as I pull the dress up over my head and smooth out the creases, my sudden enthusiasm surprising me to no end.

I glance into the mirror, admiring the costume. The pretty blue colouring compliments my light pink hair perfectly — the only down side is the costume is ever so slightly on the small side, and the transparency of the material shows my sports bra. I fumble around for a moment, tugging at the ruffles until I'm satisfied.

All in all, the tight-fit dress is pretty, and successfully fuels me with motivation to get through the day. "I'm done!" I call out to Meiko as I peer around the curtain, who jumps up to her feet almost immediately and rushes into the changing room with me.

"Oh. My. Gosh." She looks me up and down, jaw indiscreetly agape. "Luka, you look amazing!" I smile and twirl, feeling perfectly content with the costume as she continues to gush. "Blue is really your colour. You look gorgeous. And that's pre-headpiece and makeup, too! You're going to look like a queen."

"They call me the queen of dance for a reason, you see," I brag, raising an eyebrow before tugging slightly at the hem of the dress. "Admittedly, it's a little tight, especially around the chest... but it'll do."

"If you didn't have big tits, you wouldn't have that problem," Meiko responds, sticking out her tongue before fumbling around her shoulder bag and pulling out a makeup kit.

"You are not one to talk."

"Oh honey, I know that," she laughs, before studying me once more and cocking her head. "I know exactly what to do with your makeup. Come on, let's find a free station." And with that, she takes off out of the changing room and into the dressing room. I follow her swiftly as she darts over to an unoccupied booth and sits me down at the stool, eyes lit up.

Meiko is an amazing makeup artist, and I can tell she's been looking forward to this for ages. She aspires to be a world famous makeup artist and influencer, so I'm more than happy for her to do my makeup — after all, she's my personal makeup artist, and the best part is, I don't have to pay a thing!