Chapter 17

While Mishti was walking away, Kuhu whispered something incomprehensible but Abir heard it. She said, "This is what she was talking about yesterday. She's doing it on purpose. But why?" Abir's head snapped up in her direction. Kuhu didn't notice that Abir heard her. Her eyes widened at a realization. She only said one word. "Kunal." Abir looked at her, dumbfounded. He joined the two and two together. That's when he said, "Ruko Mishti." Mishti stopped dead in her tracks when she heard Abir's voice. She didn't expect Abir to stop her after the way she broke his heart, a few instants ago. She didn't want to stay anymore. She couldn't face him. She was a complete mess. And the moment she would face him, he would see her thoughts written all over her face. He would understand that she didn't mean a word she said. That it was all an act. But she was unaware of the fact that he knew. He knew everything that she had tried so hard, to hide from him. Abir walked towards her and stood right behind her. The others followed his lead.

Nishant : Abir tu... 

Abir glared at him. Nishant shut up immediately. He saw a kind of rage in his eyes that he had never seen before. A kind of rage that screamed that he was not someone to be messed with right now. Abir was trying very hard to be calm but failing miserably at it. 

Abir : Mishti, turn around and look at me. 

She didn't. 

Mishti : Abir I don't know what you want but... 

Before she could complete, Abir bellowed. 

Abir : I SAID TURN AROUND AND LOOK AT ME! 

Mishti shuddered at his tone. She had never heard Abir scream like that at anyone. She knew she had to obey. She hastily wiped the tear traces off and put on her facade. She turned around to look at him. The moment she saw Abir's face, an overwhelming anguish filled her heart. Abir's face depicted anger but Mishti could see the unfathomable hurt in his eyes. Abir shut his eyes and took a deep breath to calm his raging nerves. He hadn't shed a tear but his eyes were red and filled with fury. He couldn't blow up before he got his answers. He had an idea why Mishti pulled that act but he wanted her to confess to it so that he could be sure. 

Abir : So Miss Mishti Aggrawal, nice act up there. I must say, if I didn't know any better, I would have believed your words. But tumhara natak toh waste hogaya Mishti. Tsk.. tsk.. tsk..

Mishti, who was staring at the ground all this while, lifted her head to look at him. Abir smirked at her, mockingly. She had a bewildered look etched on her face. "How did Abir know that the breakup was an act?", was all she could think of. Before she could defend herself, Abir spoke.

Abir : Yeh hi soch rahi ho na ki mujhe kaise pata? Well, mujhe isliye pata hai kyunki tum wo hi kar rahi ho jo Kunal ne Kuhu ke saath kiya tha. Fark sirf itna hai ki usne Kuhu ko ek letter likha tha aur tum sab kuch sab ke saamne kar rahi ho. But let me tell you one thing, even if it was just a letter, he atleast told her the truth. Unlike you, who wants to keep us all in the dark. Am I right Mishti?

Mishti stared at Abir, agape. "How did Abir know about Kunal? And what letter was he talking about?", she thought. Before she could voice out her thoughts, Ketki spoke.

Ketki : Abir, what are you talking about? Kunal ne Kuhu ke saath kya kia? Aur tum kis letter ki baat kar rahe ho?

Abir looked towards Kuhu. Her head was lowered and her shoulders were slightly shaking. Abir rushed towards her and put his arms around her shoulders. Kuhu lifted her head a little to look at him. Tears were flowing down her cheeks. No matter how strong she appeared to be, Kunal was one such person who made her weak. Despite what he did, she still missed him, terribly. He was the person who taught her how to smile again. He taught her how to live her life and be happy. And above all, he made her believe in love. And him leaving her, hurt her. A lot. Abir wrapped her in a hug and caressed her hair.