Chapter 10

*Flashback*

Abir was about to disconnect the call when he heard a familiar voice. 

Mishti : Ohh.. Kya aaya hai reports mei? 

Abir thought to himself, ‘Reports? Lekin Mishti  akeli kyu chali gayi? Why didn't she tell me? I would have gone along with her too. Idiot, usne tujhe call kiya tha. Tune hi phone nahi uthaya.’ He smiled at his stupidity. He became alert when he heard an unfamiliar female voice. He assumed it to be Dr. Arohi's voice. 

Dr. Arohi : Dekh Mishti, what I am about to tell you is going to change your life. But please be strong. And try to absorb my words. I know it will be difficult but you have the right to know. What you have, most of the people don't realize it until it's too late. They ignore the symptoms until the symptoms become worse. And until then, there's no hope left. 

Mishti : Tu kehna kya chahti hai Arohi? Kya hua hai mujhe?

Dr. Arohi : Mishti, tere reports ache nahi hai. In medical terms, what you have is called a glioblastoma multiforme. It's the most aggressive type of brain tumor. According to your scans, it's in the temporal lobe of your brain. I don't want to give you any false hopes, Mishti and it isn't too late for you but judging by the size of your tumor, you have roughly 6 months to live. 

The phone slipped from Abir's hand and fell to pieces. 

*Flashback ends*

After narrating the conversation that Abir overheard, he shut his eyes in pain. A few tears rolled down. With her hand covering her mouth, Kuhu had started crying too. She couldn't believe what she heard just a few seconds ago. She refused to accept that a kind soul like Mishti could be suffering from such a dreadful illness. She didn't understand why Abir and Mishti had to suffer from such a heart-rending fate. 

Kuhu : No.. no.. Aisa nahi ho sakta Abir. Not again. No.. 

Abir : Yeh hi sach hai Kuhu. Jab Maine yeh sab suna tab mujhe bhi yakeen nahi hua. But this is the truth.

He sighed.

Abir : Wait, what do you mean by not again? 

Abir's eyes widened in surprise. He waited for Kuhu to reply. She realized what she had just spoken. 

Kuhu : Kuch nahi. Woh bas aise hi nikal gaya hoga. 

She averted her gaze and tried to cover up. She didn't want to talk about her pain when her best friend was already going through so much. Moreover, Abir had no clue what had happened with her. But Abir didn't let it go.

Abir : Nahi, Kuhu. Tune aise hi nahi bola. Or else you wouldn't have torn away your gaze. Kya chupa rahi hai? Bata.

Kuhu : Abir.. woh.. woh.. 

Abir : Woh kya? Bata Kuhu.

Kuhu : Kunal. 

Abir : Kunal? 

Abir looked at her in shock and queried. Kuhu nodded. She sniffled and wiped off her tears. 

Kuhu : Remember he disappeared all of a sudden? 

Abir bobbed his head.

Kuhu : He had sent me a letter revealing the reasons for his abrupt departure.  

*Flashback*

The doorbell rang. Kuhu went to open the door. A courier boy was at the door. He gave Kuhu an envelope and asked her to sign. She signed and the courier boy left. She closed the door.