Good times

Sophie POV:

"So, how old are you, Abby?" I asked the little girl sitting across the table from me.

She had been stuffing mouthfuls of salad into her mouth, but paused to look pointedly at me with her striking blue-green eyes. "Fo," She replied, holding up four chubby fingers.

Abigail Sencen looked so much like her brother, it was disarming. Aside from her eyes, which were turquoise in contrast to Keefe's bright blue ones and Abigail's obviously more feminie features, they were nearly identical. I wondered how people who looked so much alike could behave so differently.

I looked back at Abby, trying to appear interested. I never truly was good with kids. "Hm, that's a good age!"

"Tanks."

She went back to eating, seemingly oblivious to the salad dressing dripping off the corners of her mouth. I sat there, awkwardly, not sure if I was supposed to try and make conversation with a child, or just to leave them alone. With my brother, we rarely spoke, usually it was just him poking fun at me while I ignored him. But when I watched Keefe with his little sister, they seemed like best friends. Keefe looked at Abigail like he wouldn't survive without her. And I could tell she admired Keefe with a whole heart. Where was Keefe? I looked down the hall; he had been in the bathroom for a while now.

My thoughts were interrupted by an insistent buzzing in my pocket. I reached into my pocket though, but ignored it when I saw who's name was flashing repeatedly on the screen: Mom. No thanks. I knew she was just calling to pester me about not eating anything but salad and being a 'good little girl' while they were away on their work trip.

Finally, Keefe opened the door to the bathroom and walked out, heading towards the table. A tiny smile played at the corner of his lips, confusing me. What was with his hot and cold temperaments? It confused the crap out of me.

He sat down at the table, drumming his hands carelessly on the hardwood surface. His posture was relaxed, carefree. I regarded him warily. When I had challenged him earlier today it was an empty threat. But seeing him so cavalier made me desperately want to get a rise out of him. Hmm... maybe I would get him back. It was just a matter of time.

☆   ☆   ☆

"Wanna watch a movie?" I asked, cutting through the silence.

Abby had been put to bed a few minutes earlier, so now Keefe and I were just sitting awkwardly at the table. Not sure where to look.

Keefe's eyes lifted from the table to mine. "Uh, okay."

I smiled, happy with his answer and quickly stood from my chair, heading towards the living room. "Coming?"

He stood up and followed after me reluctantly. "Just please no dumb romcoms."

"Wouldn't dream of it," I said, grinning.

Most guys assumed that all girls were the type that only watched chick flicks. Not me though. It was literally the only 'different thing' about me. I'll admit it, my whole life I had been the type to follow trends and try not to stick out anymore that I really had to. But with movies, the gruesomer the better.

I picked up the remote from the side table and flicked through the movie options displayed. The first action movie that popped up was 'IT', a movie about a killer clown. It had been all the rage a few months ago, but I never got to watching it. Haha, it.

Keefe looked at me. "Uh, you sure? It's pretty scary for little kids like you."

"Excuse me?" I asked in faux insultment.

He grinned back and flopped down onto the couch and pulled a fluffy white pillow onto his lap, eyes fixed on the screen. "Let's go!"

I grinned and sat down beside him, trying not to overthink where I should sit. Still, my thoughts couldn't help but whizz over this.  Would sitting on the other side of the couch be awkward? Maybe I should sit closer. No, He might be uncomfortable with that. He hates me after all.

Eventually, after ten minutes straight of me fidgeting and not reacting to the scenes appropriately because I wasn't paying attention, Keefe looked at me. "You good?"

I let out a short little laugh. "Uh huh."

He frowned and scooted closer to me, pulling a blanket around the both of us. "I won't give you the cooties, y'know. Why are ya sitting all the way across the couch, hm?

Well ok. "Oh! Ok, sorry... I was just..."

Keefe looked at me expectantly.

I looked towards the TV.

He snorted a laugh. "Girls..."

"Hey," I retorted. "There's no reason to drag the rest of the female species into this."

"Female species..." He mocked in a pretty accurate version of my voice.

I shoved him, holding in a laugh and he tossed a pillow back at me. A scream sounded from the TV, displaying my reaction perfectly. I launched the pillow back, finally letting out a laugh. I'd seen pillow fights on TV and read about them but had never actually had one.

Keefe smiled crookedly back at me before pulling my head under his arm. I squirmed and shrieked, but he just dug his knuckled into my head, and rubbed mussing my hair. "Keefe!"

When he finally released me, I was out of breath. I didn't usually have fun like this. And if I could with Keefe Sencen, my arch nemesis for some reason, then why were we enemies? Why didn't we like each other?

We were complete opposites, that's why. And no matter what anyone said, opposites didn't attract. It was just a fact. Still, one of my few flaws was that I had to speak, even if I didn't think first. I had to voice my opinion and put my questions out there.

"Keefe?" I asked.

He stilled. "Yeah?"

"Why do you hate me?"