"He. Said. Now!" Y/n hollered in Tanjiro's defence and grabbed the boys kimono in a threatening manner. Seeing as the idiot didn't let go of the girl, the water breather started squeezing his hand, breaking his arm with ease. The crack seemed to resonate through the forest, making Zenitsu gawk and Y/n wince in pity.

As the girls continued to talk, Y/n glared daggers at the guy, who wasn't shy to glare back. They eventually were presented with a table, with a lot of rocks and geodes scattered on it. Frankly, none of them knew which one to pick. Tanjiro was feeling brave that day though, so he reached a hand out and picked one. Y/n decided to follow and picked out the biggest one, cheerily holding it above his head. 

"How the hell is that guy so chipper after being so scary?!" the guy with the mohawk thought to himself.

"Hey, Tanji, that reminds me" Y/n lowered his geode and looked at the ground sheepishly. 

"Hm? What is it?" Tanjiro asked and turned to the smaller boy. 

"Well, you see, Asahi, my mentor, is on a mission and he won't be back. He wanted me to stay with someone else, which is insulting because I won't burn the house down" he rambled slightly. "Anyway, I was asking if you could let me stay with you a while?" he asked, ripping the bandaid off and getting straight to the point. He hated asking people for help, so this was kind of humiliating. He relaxed as soon as Tanjiro gave him a closed-eyed smile and an approving nod. 

"Im sure Nezuko would be thrilled to see you!" Tanjiro clapped his hands together. Right, his demon sister. Honestly, Y/n didn't have a problem with it, but if she ever tried anything he would not hesitate to off her, even if Tanjiro would hate him. "Come, lets gather our uniforms and get going!" the boy grabbed Y/n's hand and started running, making the h/c stumble, but he managed to follow.

--time skip brought to you by Asahi ditching Y/n--

The two boys had been travelling for almost the entire day. They panted desperately as the scorching sun practically fried them. The weight of the uniforms plus the soreness of all of their limbs slowed them down hugely, plus Y/n's cut on his waist. They dragged their feet across the gravel, getting stares from nearby children and families who pondered about where they could be coming from. 

"Bloody hell... Tanjiro... Where the hell do you live?!" Y/n groaned, leaning across the stick that he had picked up earlier. The other boy didn't seem focused though, he seemed to be lost in thought, so the h/c decided not to interrupt. As he looked around himself, he had noticed that the sun had set. They'd been walking for so long...

There was a quiet knocking sound, before someone shamelessly kicked down the door, startling the two boys.

A small girl who looked around their age walked out. She had long, wavy black hair with orange tips. Her clothes consisted of a pink kimono with an interesting pattern, a black haori and a bamboo muzzle. Y/n assumed that that was Nezuko, Tanjiro's kid sister.

"Nezuko!" Tanjiro yelled. "Nezuko, you woke up!" the girl turned to face her brother, her eyes widening. "Nezuko-!" the boy yelled again, falling to the ground. His sister came to his aid nearly instantly, pulling her brother into a tight hug. Tanjiro sobbed in her arms while Y/n just kinda stood around awkwardly, not really sure what to do. An old man emerged too, pulling the Kamado siblings into a hug. From behind the mask, the older man, who Y/n assumed to be Urokodaki, seemed to be crying.

When they all finally separated, Nezuko's gaze fell on Y/n. She immediately turned red and scuttled into the forest. The boy looked at her in confusion while Tanjiro laughed. "I think she remembers you!"

"What does that have to do with her turning red?" Y/n asked. Nezuko soon came back, a bright sunflower in her hands which Tanjiro suspected to be stolen, still a little red. She jogged up to the boy and handed him the flower. Y/n smiled cheerily and took the flower. "Thank you so much, Nezuko!" he chirped and closed his eyes, shooting Nezuko a smile. She closed her eyes and clapped before hurrying back into the house. The boy admired the flower, before attaching it to the piece of cloth he had wrapped around his hips under his haori, to make sure that he would have it on him at all times.

"Looks like my sister likes you~" Tanjiro cooed, a smug look on his face. 

"Hah? What does that mean?" Y/n asked and tilted his head. Tanjiro just waved it off. "W-wait, tell me!" the boy whined, but to no avail, as he didn't receive an answer. 

--time skip brought to you by me apologising for there being so many time skips--

A little over 2 weeks had passed, and all seemed to be going swell. Wounds healed perfectly, people got along, and certain demons still got flusters around Y/n. It was pretty cute- every couple of days after a flower wilted, Nezuko always arrived with a new one for Y/n to have at his waist. 

Wind chimes rang through the forest, grabbing the attention of the Kamado son. A figure who hid their face was discernible in the distance. Y/n, being the shy dummy he was, stayed indoors and peered at the two interact through the window.

"Wind chimes..." Tanjiro murmured. 

"My name is Haganezuka" the man started. "I am the one that forged the blade that will be used by Kamado Tanjiro and L/n Y/n"

"Thats us! Please, come in and have a seat!"

The man crouched on the ground. "This is the Nichirin Blade"

"Um... please take a seat and have some tea..." Tanjiro insisted in an awkward manner.

The man continued to prattled on about how the blades were made while Tanjiro kept trying to convince him to come in. In all honesty, it bored Y/n so he just zoned out.

"Hold on a minute! Can you please stand! You're getting dirt on your bag..." Tanjiro pleaded. The man brought his head up and looked the boy square in the eye, revealing his peculiar mask. He started gushing over his combination of red eyes and red hair. It was a little too much for Y/n to pay attention to, but he caught the words 'blade' and 'red'.

After a couple more minutes of convincing, Haganezuka finally entered the home and sat across from Tanjiro and Y/n.

"Pull the blades out of your scabbards. Kamado, you go first" he ordered. Tanjiro hummed in agreement and did as he was told. The sword he was holding in his hand washed over with a deep black colour. Y/n breathed out in admiration, hoping his sword would be at least half as cool.

"Eh?! Black feels bad, is it a bad sign?!" Tanjiro panicked. Urokodaki tried calming him down, but the man in the strange mask just started screaming at Tanjiro about how his blade was supposed to be black, and the boy started apologising profusely, though Y/n didn't see why.

When the two finally stopped fighting, Haganezuka turned to the remaining boy, who felt a chill run down his spine. He gulped nervously. 

"L/n Y/n, correct?" the man asked.

"Sir, yes sir!" Y/n nodded and saluted out of sheer awkwardness. 

Haganezuko looked confused. "...Anyway" he coughed. "You appear to practice breath of gold! Your mask gave you away!" he got closer and tackled the boy in an attempt to see his eyes better. "That particular shade of e/c is also a giveaway! No doubt about it- Your sword will be gold!"

Y/n felt almost scared to reveal his katana, just in case it wasn't gold. He nervously opened it, and watched as it coloured itself gold. He grinned widely. 

"Thats how you do it, Kamado!" Haganezuka laughed and admired it. "Beautiful, very beautiful"

"Wow, yours is amazing!" Tanjiro smiled in awe. 

"Aw, shucks!" Y/n turned a little bit red. "Yours is epic too, Tanji!"

Just before they could continue their oh so interesting conversation, a crow started screaming at them. "Caw! Cawmado Tanjiro and L/n Y/n! Go to the northwest town!" it yelled.

"We're right here, relax..." Y/n muttered under his breath. 

"Hunt demons! This is your first assignment! Remember! Girls disappearing every night! Every night!" It cawed before flying out of the window. With the crow, Haganezuka left as well. 

After a few back and forth's between Urokodaki and Tanjiro, the two young boys finally headed out one their mission to the town with Nezuko with them.