childhood friends (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"May! Come and help me in the kitchen for a bit!" Mom hollered from downstairs, snapping me out of my thoughts. Good timing, I really needed something to distract me from overthinking it all. The Haydens were coming over today, including Drew, and Mom was going all out in preparation.

"Is that steak I smell?"

Mom grinned behind the kitchen counter. "Today's a very special day, it's been so long since we've seen Helen and Chris, and even Drew."

It was sad to admit, but true. My parents found it odd that Drew suddenly stopped coming over when they had practically watched him grow up alongside me. But I wouldn't blame him though, things had changed since we were little, and we had to get used to it.

I then began helping Dad in setting up the table, and before we knew it, the doorbell rang.

"That must be them. Can you please get the door May? I still need to spray air freshener in the living room," Dad asked.

I laughed. Dad and his OCD would never get old.

I went over to the entrance and opened the door, telling myself to avoid any eye contact with Drew, because that would just make him feel even more awkward around me.

"May! It's been too long!" Drew's mom gushed at first sight of me, pulling me into her warm embrace. I gladly hugged back—even if she was related to Drew, she and her husband were like my second parents.

I pulled back and grinned at Drew's dad, who warmly returned the gesture. And then, I waved at Drew himself, but my eyes remained on the floor. He simply waved back.

I led the Haydens in the house and my parents immediately rushed into hugs with them, catching up on whatever they had missed. Leaving me and Drew alone, in awkward silence.

I didn't know if I could strike up a conversation with him, let alone how, so I just plopped on the couch and switched on the TV. That would be a good distraction for my heart.

But unfortunately, he sat right next to me, close enough that I could whiff his  cologne. Okay, so my heart wouldn't be at rest anytime soon.

I flipped through channels with the remote and landed on Disney channel, where Phineas and Ferb was playing. Classic.

I knew Drew wouldn't mind, he'd never complain when I'd forced him to watch when we were kids.

"It's the Act Your Age episode." He noted, nonchalantly.

Oh flip.

That's the one where Phineas finds about Isabella's crush on him after 10 years

And when he realises that he liked her back.

It was kinda similar to our situation, in the way that Drew was too dense to see that I had been in love with him since forever, but also different, because we had grown up already, and no, you don't see him confessing his feelings for me before we went into college, do you?

This was just too awkward for me, because, well, I was the only one harbouring feelings here.

So I decided to change channels to Boomerang, where Lego Ninjago was playing.

Ew.

"You hate Lego." He stated, with such certainty in his voice that I almost forgot how much he knew about me.

I still didn't look into his eyes,and laughed emptily, hoping he wouldn't realise.

"That was a long time ago, I've changed a lot since then, you know?"

To that he didn't reply, which made me wonder if he stopped listening, so I turned to look at him.

Big Mistake.

To my surprise, he was already looking at me, and our eyes met.

It was not just the first time we made eye contact today, but in the entire month, and darn, I hella regret it.

How would anyone turn away from those beautiful emerald eyes?

His gaze seemed to pull me in towards him, and I had to do everything in my living might to just hold back the temptation to hug him, right at that moment.

But then I felt a wave of disappointment, and broke away from him.

At this point, all I was doing was making myself suffer by still having feelings for him, even though there was no chance of him reciprocating them.

It wasn't that he liked Brianna. It was that he just didn't like me.

To him, I was nothing more than the weird girl his parents forced him to hang out with. Just someone whose existence created unnecessary trouble for the long list of his fans.

Maybe, just maybe, if we weren't childhood friends, would things have ended up differently between us?

Then, all of a sudden, he grabbed my arm and turned me around so I was facing him, our faces inches close. There was something unreadable burning in his eyes, which terrified me.

"Don't avoid me, May."

part 2 coming up soon! let me know what you guys thought of this chapter!!!

~the constipated kitten