Masquerade

The pic above is how mays outfit looks like.
Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't wanna go!" May protested

"You have to May! Drew's going for it too!" Dawn retorted. She then twirled around in her baby pink dress.

"Who cares about him?"

"You do!"

"I DO NOT!"

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

"Hah! You said I don't yourself!"

"But you have to go to the Masquerade, May! You'll never know if he likes you back!" Dawn pleaded.

May sighed. "You so owe me for this, Dawn."

___________________________________

~At the School Auditorium~

"You better talk to him. Okay, May?" Dawn said as she walked away with Paul. May was left alone, sitting near one of the party tables, eyeing random couples dancing on the floor; she was so jealous.

"Hello? Earth to June? Don't tell me you've landed on planet Candyland again!" Somebody snapped. May looked up to find her crush in a tuxedo, with a rose in the jacket pocket. He looks handsome, said her conscience. A blush crept its way onto her face, and she averted her gaze from his green eyes.

"Oh. Hey, Drew." She said, bored. Drew scrunched his face and leaned down to her.

"What's the matter? Why're you so sad?"

"I'm not sad. I'm just.....thinking...."

"Thinking about who?"

"A guy, I guess ...."

Drew's eyes slightly widened. "You like someone, June?" His voice almost sounded surprised, but May, being denser than cement, simply thought he was going to insult her again, for not being pretty enough to be liked back, or something[my thoughts exactly].
"I already know I have no chance with him, anyways." She sighed, hoping somewhere deep down that he would detect the glint of sadness in her voice and would cheer her up.

But ever since they were in middle school, she had already given up on that idea.

Drew wouldn't like someone like herself, she always thought. Being extremely popular in the school for his intelligence and for how much he excelled in sports, it was no wonder that he captured almost every single girl's heart with just a flick of his bangs.

So what was she doing here, at this stupid masquerade ball where she only felt worse being the only girl in the entire hall who wasn't in the arms of a handsome boy?

"Wow. I can't believe that you, out of all the people in the world, would fall for a guy."

May scrunched her eyebrows. "What's that supposed to mean, huh?"

"Someone so innocent and adorable for a seventeen year old girl probably didn't even know what it meant to be in love." He said as he propped his face up against his hand and flashed her one of his crooked smiles.

May was about to retort back when she suddenly realised what the beginning of his sentence said.

"Shut up." She muttered as she covered every inch of her face with her hands to prevent Drew from seeing her reddened cheeks. Too late May.

He looked at her with his stunning but gentle eyes, and chuckled.

This was the first time in a long while she had heard him do that.

_________

May didn't even remember when she started dancing with the boy of her dreams. She was too surprised by his offer to think of anything else, obviously, but she just couldn't avert her eyes away from his.
Those bright, emerald orbs that seemed to draw her closer and closer towards him, were so captivating, yet so modest at the same time. It was as if the mask he wore had no effect to conceal the radiance from his dazzling eyes.
She could not believe her current position, with his strong arms around her waist and her skinny hands that held his shoulder in place.
It was like that dream she had in the beginning of high school.

"Feeling better now?" Drew asked, after they had stopped dancing.

"Huh?" For real? Drew wanted to cheer her up?

"Well I suppose this helped you to get over your rejection." His laughter was dry and his voice was sore. But then again, May was too thick headed to notice that he felt this way only because of her.
"I didn't get rejected yet, though," May said bluntly. "In fact I didn't even confess yet."

"Would you mind telling me who it is?" Drew asked, a tinge of anxiety in his voice.

"Oh sure. He's right here in this auditorium, right this moment." She said with her eyes finally having the strength to break away from his gaze.

I Guess it was about time already.

"Oh. Is that so. Who exactly?" Drew asked, trying to sound as light hearted as possible.

"Well, he's standing in front of me right this moment and hasn't taken his arms off me even though we already stopped dancing." She said. It seems that her cheeks had defeated her dress in a contest to see who was more red.

She tried to avoid eye contact, too afraid to see the horrified expression on his face.

Or so she thought.

But it seems she was mistaken, as, for the first time in her life, she saw Drew blushing.

She picked herself, slapped her own cheek and rubbed her eyelids hard, but it was not a dream.
Even if this was a mere dream, she never wanted to wake up from it.

Because, for the first time in forever, she felt herself being embraced by her middle school crush, which she certainly thought was unrequited love.

But here she was, right in his arms.

And on TOP of it, he kissed her cheek, whispering the four words that she always wanted to hear into her ears.

Oh, how much she wanted to thank Dawn that day, but to her dismay[a pun that rhymes] Drew did not let go of her petite frame.

Just remembering that fateful day made her cheeks redden, once again.

----------

Holy mew that took Long.
But I'm Glad I did it, coz this was what I dreamt of last week.
But unlike May, it has no chances of coming true😓
Sayonara amigos!

~The constipated kitten