childhood friends (part 1)

4K VIEWS ??
rank 46 in #cringey ??
SERIOUSLY?
I'm the luckiest girl in the world
also I recommend paper hearts for this chapter, tell me if you think it fits, coz this is kinda sad...or maybe it's just me

word count: 1454

(May's POV)

You're not just friends.

But you're not that close either.

There's this small distance in between the two of you, and you're both too afraid that if you took a step closer, everything would crumble apart.

I found friendship and love, both, in Drew Hayden, which was probably the reason behind my 17-years-old-and-still-single status, but I couldn't help it.

Our parents were best friends. They went to high school together, had a double wedding, and even
had children in the same year, but I came later on. It was no wonder that they'd plan almost every family activity together, picnics, outings, vacations. Like Drew was my first ever real friend, since mr Snickerdoodle, my adorable Shih Tzu, didn't actually count.  I remember it like yesterday:

"Why is your hair green?" The almost six year old me managed to squeak out, after taking a good 10 minute stare at his chartreuse locks.

"Because my dad's hair is green too." He replied quirkily, still immersed in the Lego ninjago set that whose presence I had long forgotten. He himself was way more interesting.

"Why? Do you find it strange?"

My nose scrunched up. "What does strange mean?"

"It's a fancy word for weird."

I paused for a moment before answering.

"It's beautiful. That's a fancy word for pretty."

His emerald eyes looked at me like he wasn't expecting that sort of answer, but his face lit up, and he gave me a toothy grin.

"Wanna be friends?" He held out a red lego block in front of me, like my acceptance of his proposal of friendship would be signified if I took the toy.

"Okay, but no lego when you come over next time."

"Deal."

Those were the good days, when we'd play in the puddles and dance in the rain only to get scolded by our parents later, when we'd doodle on the walls of the corner of the attic in my house— a flipping masterpiece that would've made Da Vinci proud— and when we cried together in the sixth grade when mr Snickerdoodle died, him promising me that he'd never leave me lonely ever again.

But it's sad how much things have changed over the years. As if he was the male lead of some shoujo manga, he began sparkling and blooming roses when we entered high school, with girls following his every footstep just because he had a nice face, and the extra-ordinary me just had to be left out; I wasn't, in the least sense, anywhere near a "popular" kid like him.

We gradually grew apart. He found his passion for football, and I found my love for fine arts, so we'd hardly see each other in school, let alone have
any classes together. He stopped visiting ever since his girlfriend, Brianna, apparently found it hard to accept that her boyfriend was "going to another girl's house" and Drew, being the lover boy he was, listened to ever word of hers. Well, it was not like his best friend cared anyways so yeah, I was Super chill about it, not lying.

It wasn't sad to have your best friend ignore you at school because of his own girlfriend. Heck, we'd argue and fight and ignore each other all the time when we were kids. But it was sad to know that your best friend had priorities—no, new priorities— and you weren't one of them, at least not anymore.