004. the kook queen

Edited June 20, 2023 

𝗜𝗙 𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗬 𝗪𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗧𝗢 𝗦𝗘𝗘 𝗛𝗘𝗥 as Mackenzie Jones the kook, she'd give them just that. In all honestly, Mackenzie wasn't exactly sure why their opinion of her mattered so much. The whole drive back to figure eight she kept repeating the memory of the pouges looking at her like an alien. For a split second, she had felt like she belonged with them, and she liked that. 

She barged into her house, slamming the door behind her and letting out a scream of anger and frustration. From the parlour, Melanie sighed looking up from her magazine. Her daughter was covered in dirt and smelled of pot and body odour. 

"Where have you been all day?" Melanie asked quite displeased. 

Mackenzie narrowed her eyes. That's the first thing her mother would ask. She wouldn't even comment about her tear-stained face or even worse the fact Scooter Grubbs was dead.

"Have you reached out to Lana?" She asked kicking off her muddy shoes. "Nevermind don't answer that. You'll get someone to send her a card of some sort."

"Mackenzie I understand you're upset, Scooter was a hard worker, but you can't be running around all day after a hurricane." Melanie discharged her daughter's valid point. "Sarah stopped by looking for you, who were you with?" 

"Do you really care," Mackenzie snapped, placing her keys on the center table before leaving her Mom in the parlour and walking to her bedroom. 

She slammed her bedroom door behind her, falling onto her bed with a huff. No matter how much she tried to get the image of Scooter Grubb's dead body out of her head she couldn't shake it. What had he been doing out in the storm that night, and how did he afford a Grady white? She wanted answers and the stupid pouges weren't going to stop her. 

As she had been leaving John B's house she caught the brief mention of them throwing another party on the cut. If they wanted kook they're gonna get full kook. 

An hour later Mackenzie and her kook friends found themselves on the beach known as the Boneyard. Mackenzie had sent Rafe off to get her a drink leaving her to trail behind Topper and Sarah giving the few people a smile and wave. 

"Hey, Mackenzie," A familiar voice taunted. 

She turned around to find JJ Maybanks towering over her with a beer in hand. "Can I interest you and a tasty Milwaukee beverage?"

"No, thank you." Mackenzie politely smiled. Although the boy's friends had been rude towards her, she had a slight weak spot for him.

"Sarah, what about you," He laughed, "Come on, is it not fancy enough for you girls?"

"No, we're just leaving," Sarah responded looking around for her brother, who unfortunately had the car keys. 

"Hey, you know what? I'll take it." Topper offered, "I'll- thank you, man, I appreciate it."

"That's nice that's a great suggestion there Topper, but I didn't ask you." JJ's slurs became more prominent. "If you said pretty please, maybe. But you didn't."

"Oh, pretty please." Topper scoffed.

JJ looked down at Mackenzie and drunkenly winked, "Here you go baby girl. I know you're dying to let loose."

"She doesn't want it," Topper snapped hitting the drink out of his hand.

As the cup fell onto the sand JJ lunged forward grabbed hold of Topper's shirt and aggressively shoved him backward. Sarah started to yell, grabbing hold of Topper's bicep. Mackenzie tried to grab hold of JJ's arm, but he was a lot stronger than her and his arm quickly broke free.