Prologue

As the cats padded along the Windclan border, the Riverclan patrol heard a mewling from farther in the territory. Minnowtail, the patrol leader, told the other she-cats, Mosspelt and Perchpaw, to join her to investigate while the rest of the patrol, Heronwing, Grasspelt and Mintfur, to continue. The she-cats found a small hole under a tree. Seven kits lay mewling. Minnowtail took a kit and went to camp to collect three more cats. The six cats brought the six remaining kits back. They were given to Icewing. The kits were named Sunkit, Dawnkit, Duskkit, Nightkit, Moonkit, Darkkit, and Lightkit. Icewing murmured to her two kits, Pebblekit and Pouncekit, about how they had new siblings.

As this happened, Windclan went to their outside border on patrol. The patrol leader, Nightcloud, heard mewling from outside the territories. She'd led the patrol of seven outside the territory toward the sound. They found seven kits and brought them to camp. Nightcloud gave them to Sedgewhisker, who named them Ripplekit, Waterkit, Streamkit, Currentkit, Lakekit, Rainkit, and Riverkit. Sedgewhisker's kit, Whitekit, edged away from the other kits.

A Thunderclan patrol was marking the Windclan border when kits squealed from in a hollow fallen tree. The seven cats, leader being Bramblestar himself, carried the kits back to the camp. They were given to Dovewing. She named them Thunderkit, Stormkit, Rainkit, Hailkit, Snowkit, Lightningkit, and Skykit. Dovewing nosed her six kits, Firekit, Smokekit, Mistykit, Rowankit, Onekit and Tawnykit.

Shadowclan was on the Thunderclan border as that all happened and found seven kits on the border. The seven cats,
led by Tigerheart, brought the kits to camp. He gave them to Dawnpelt. She named them Bramblekit, Pinekit, Barkkit, Oakkit, Birchkit, Leafkit, and Squirrelkit.

None of the clans could find a family scent near the kits.