-2-

Mel's POV 

I just came home from training and emptied my training bag. In the meantime I had been training with the team for more than a week and it was getting better every day. Above all, my nervousness was finally completely gone and the girls had also been really nice to me. But it was a crazy team...

After I put my clothes into the laundry I went into the kitchen to have a snack. I made myself a sandwich and dropped on the couch. The training level was incredibly high, which I liked, but it was also quite exhausting. But Daan said I'd probably get used to it pretty quickly. I hope she was right, because I was tired of the constant sore muscles...

For some time I lay relaxed on the couch and watched TV while my phone vibrated. I looked at the display, but I didn't know the number. So I turned off the TV and sat up. Then I answered it.

„Blue?"

"Am I talking to Melissa Blue?" came the counter question and I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, why?" I asked, and I got kind of nervous. Who was that and why did he have my number?

"This is Vlatko Andonovski, the head coach of the US Women's National Team" he explained and I sat even more upright. Did I just get that right?!

"Really?!", I asked more quietly because I just couldn't believe it and heard a laugh on the other side of the line.

"Yes, really." he said, and I didn't know what to say. I mean, I was talking to the head coach of the national team...

"Okay, I'll get straight to the point: Even though you didn't play much at your last club, we noticed you. Positively, of course, or I wouldn't be calling. We then called your current coach and wanted to know how you are doing in training at the moment. He praised you very much and gave us your number. We'd love to have you with us at our next camp."

I should be on the national team?! What's happening...

"That... I'm glad. I mean... I feel honored...", I stammered nervously, not knowing what else to say.

"We will officially announce the roster in a few minutes. I just wanted to let you know in person. You will then receive a mail with the most important information"

"Thank you."

Then we said goodbye, and I tried to realize what just happened. I was getting a call up for the national team... for the first time...

20 minutes later I decided to go to the US Soccer homepage to have a look at the rest of the team. After all, I was a part of it now. Somehow, I still haven't quite gotten that into perspective...

In fact, it was already public and I went on the roster for the next camp. Actually it was not really different from the last ones...Damn. Being the only rookie won't help.

I scrolled down further and had to swallow when I read her name. Immediately tears came to my eyes again. I had already thought so, but the fact that she was also there did not mean anything good for me. After all, there were enough other players of the Pride who had noticed everything last year and who have not spoken to me since then...

But they had been in the national team for much longer and if I joined now...it couldn't end well...it just couldn't!

Shaking, I picked up my phone again and dialled Jill's number. Maybe she knew what I could do. After all, you can't just cancel the national team...not if you've never been there. That would be the end of my national team career even before it had started...

"Hey Mel, what's up?" she asked friendly and I took a deep breath.

"Can... can you come here? Please...I need your advice...," I asked, wiping a tear from my cheek.

"Oh, what happened?! But yes, I'll be there in 15 minutes, okay?" she said worriedly and I heard her get up.

"Thank you..."

"Not for that. I'll be right there and then I'll see how I can help you..."

Twenty minutes later Jill and I were sitting on my couch. I didn't want to cry in front of her, though. I knew that this did not help me and she could not help me because of this, but I was afraid. Afraid she'd just leave because I was crying, too.

I felt a hand on my chin and my head was slightly raised. Jill looked at me worried.

„Mel, I can only help you if you talk to me," she broke the silence and I sighed.

"I know..."

"So now will you please tell me what happened?"

"But... then I have to cry..."

Jill looked at me questioningly and let go of my chin. "And?"

"Then I'm sure you'll leave me alone," I whispered and looked at my hands again.

"Absolutely not. Why would I do that?"

"Because the last time I cried in front of someone, she just left..."

"Then she's stupid and you're lucky you don't have to see her again. You don't do that to friends."

I looked at Jill and smiled sadly. "But I must see her again. And not just her..."

"Okay Mel, I'm confused. Can you please explain to me...?"

I took a deep breath. „Vlatko Andonovski just called. I'll be at next camp."

"But that's great!" she said enthusiastically and I immediately shook my head.

"No! As you know some of the team members also play at Orlando Pride. And...and they will surely tell the others...", I broke off and started to cry. Jill took me in her arms and I began to sob.

"What are they telling the others?" she asked cautiously and I felt even more tears coming into my eyes.

"The lie Emily told them...and everyone will believe them because they've known each other for a long time...and...and no one will believe me..."