Chapter 15

"Insolent fools, every one of you!" Ilkama screamed. "You knew he would go to the inn. Yet, you still failed so spectacularly. What incompetent imbeciles you are. Hold out the arm you used to attack him," he ordered. The ten kneeling guards silently raised an arm. Walking up to them, Ilkama slashed at the same collar bone. Each guard cried in pain, holding their arm as it became numb. Guards behind Ilkama emotionlessly watched.

"Let this be a reminder of your failures. Because of you, I have a Mienard out there somewhere, plotting to overthrow me again!" the ruler sighed, walking back to his throne. Leaning against it, he shook his head. "Surely, they seek to find the artifact. That is the only reason they would have escaped to the temple that day." Ilkama removed a cushion from his throne and revealed a pattern engraved on a slab similar to the one Devon had copied. "Where it leads, I know not. Under my command, the greatest minds in the kingdom could not interpret this. But those... troublesome individuals managed to decipher it. We must bring them back before they can threaten me."

Ilkama paced across the elevated platform, considering what his next course of action could be. Though he knew the Bronze Foxes were devoted to bringing him down, a small part of him wished they had fled the kingdom entirely, leaving it to his rule. Next, he considered the possibility they knew the artifact's location, implying one had a mind greater than anyone else in Kevras. Ilkama knew he could not leave the kingdom out of paranoia of people trapping the castle during his leave.

"Guards!" Ilkama's voice boomed throughout the stronghold. Soldiers began running frantically to their rows, with others pouring in from around the castle. The pattering sound of his subordinates was like music to his ears. However, it only worsened his headache from the Bronze Foxes ordeal. Ilkama rubbed his temples in hopes of solving the problem but was disappointed when it did not.

Within a matter of minutes, the guards Eli had not taken out stood in front of Ilkama. Despite the number of guards available, Eli had managed to defeat many of them on his way to escaping the castle; fewer than half remained. Stunned, Ilkama commented, "Eli took out this many? A rather dire situation... Eli has proven himself to be strong enough to handle at least ten of you at once, and his allies would likely be capable of the same," he rubbed his chin, weighing his options.

On one hand, Ilkama considered sending the guards to the kingdom's entrance. Confident that he could handle any opposition that threatened his rule, Ilkama believed it could be worth the risk. It would allow the guards to overpower the Bronze Foxes. However, it would also mean losing their position for longer. In addition, if they were to fall before returning, he would lose the artifact too.

On the other hand, he could potentially send the guards to find Eli and his friends on a scouting mission. They could not have traveled far, and the guards would not be able to ruin such a mission, right? Ilkama sighed, having his answer.

"Eli and his friends must be found. We cannot wait for them to return. If we do, they will have the advantage and be much stronger than they are now. And if they fall before coming back, we lose the artifact forever. I want you all to spread out beyond the kingdom's walls and search for the Bronze Foxes, but do not engage. Return to report your findings by the time Vysol next graces us with a sunrise. Do not disappoint me again. You are dismissed," Ilkama ordered. The guards quickly shuffled out to the castle's secret back entrance, leaving Ilkama alone to his thoughts.

*                              *                              *

As the Bronze Foxes ran through the open fields, Eli had begun lagging behind, with Sarah barely ahead of him. Meanwhile, Devon was farther ahead, holding his notebook while trying to read where in the Craglands they had to go. Sarah, tired of the sprint, asked, "Devon, how much farther do we have?" Devon was unresponsive, so she called out to him again. "De—"