Chapter 9

Eli had trouble sitting still. Following Curtis's interaction, he became aware that Ilkama may try to put him under the same spell as the other guards. Knowing his strengths, especially given his ability to use glyphs, Eli understood Ilkama's rule would be indefinite if Eli were to fall mindlessly under his command. And though Eli did not find Ilkama to be as tyrannical as Albert had mentioned, he could not discredit Curtis's warning. Looking out at the crowd, Eli noticed Curtis eating. Watching the boy, Eli noticed he had been avoiding drinking from his glass.

"Master Sholam," Ilkama snapped Eli back to reality. "Is something the matter?" his gaze followed Eli's, though he could tell who Eli was watching in the sea of guards. Eli shook his head.

"No, everything is fine," he replied with a smile. "I am still finding it difficult to adjust to the life of a king," Eli laughed.

"Give it time; it has only been a week since you joined me," Ilkama joined in laughing. "It will grow on you," he insisted. The two stared at their empty table before Ilkama begrudgingly called to the guards. "Guards! Where is our food?" As if on cue, two guards hurried into the room carrying a large tray with three plates on them. The two larger dishes each held a massive turkey surrounded by greens, while the third contained a white dipping sauce. After placing the tray on the table, they presented Eli with a turkey, and Ilkama took the other. Ilkama quickly prompted them to bring out what he called "The Elixir." The two guards rushed back inside, and one reemerged with a large glass pitcher filled with a light-blue, bubbling fluid. The guard filled up Eli's glass first, then Ilkama's.

Eli stared at the glass uncomfortably. While Curtis had not been drinking from his liquid, Eli knew this was a different drink from the color; it was a beverage he could likely trust. After all, Ilkama had the same one. Had it been the one to give control over others, how would it know who to give authority to? Surely, the drink had no intelligence. Eli looked up at Ilkama, who had already drunk half his glass. "What is this?" he inquired.

"I promise, it tastes much better than it looks," Ilkama stopped briefly to explain but continued after. When he was done, he showed no signs of dissatisfaction. Eli looked down, contemplating the consequences of drinking The Elixir. Perhaps it gave Ilkama a way into Eli's mind and vice versa? Eli's mind became a jumbled mess of thoughts as he tried to predict the outcome. He looked back at Ilkama and saw his friend's appearance change; his skin became smoother, and his body looked slightly more muscular. Eli furrowed his eyebrows. When Ilkama noticed Eli's confusion, he explained, "The Elixir brings your body to a more youthful state. I do not know how it works, but it unlocks some of your hidden potential, bringing back what time has taken from you. While I do not have experience with lost memories, I am hoping this will bring back yours," Ilkama's smile was warm.

Eli swirled the glass in his hand a few times, careful not to spill a single drop. Hesitantly, Eli brought the beverage to his mouth. It smelled like lavender. Eli closed his eyes and downed the liquid, just as he'd seen Ilkama do. It was cool and soft; he could feel the liquid trickle slowly down the back of his throat. Though Eli enjoyed the taste, he grew uncomfortable with the small amount of liquid stuck in the back of his mouth. He gulped a few more times before it finally subsided.

At that moment, Eli's body strengthened. He lifted his hands up and realized the Elixir worked wonders, having done precisely what it did to Ilkama. Furthermore, his mind felt more at peace. He wondered if his memories were hidden at that point and began focusing on the portrait in his chambers. Eli remembered the details leading up to the picture being made and tried remembering what happened after. When he failed, he sighed. Though his memories had not resurfaced, the sea of thoughts that clouded his mind became much calmer. "No luck?" asked Ilkama with a worried expression.