8

When we arrive at our dorm Evie immediately dives into her clothing rack. She pulls out a blue dress. "I've made this for you just in case." she says as she smiles at me. "Evie, you know that I don't like dresses." I say. "I know, I know, but I don't know I just made one for you. And it's good I did because this is the perfect occasion."
"No. I am not going to wear a dress."
"Ugh, you are so stubborn."
"I don't care. I don't like dresses."
"Please, just put it on for me."
"No."
"Please, please, please."
"Ugh. Fine." I say as I grab the dress from Evie and walk into the bathroom to change. Before I step out the bathroom I make sure that all my hair is still tucked under my hat. When I am sure there are no pieces hanging loose I step out of the bathroom. At the same time Mal enters the room. She has a slight blush with a big smile plastered on her face. "What happened to you?" I ask her. She sits down on her bed. "Ow nothing." she says as she fumbles with her bracelet. "Come on. Tell us." Evie says and we walk towards her bed. "Well I kinda bumped into Connor and we talked for a bit."
"I knew it." I say. "Wait what?" she asks. "Just the way you guys looked at each other when you met." I say with a big smile. Her mouth falls open a bit. "It's okay." I say. "So why are you wearing a dress?" she asks. "Ben asked her on a date." Evie says before I can say anything. "He did?" Mal asks as she looks at me. "Yep." I say popping the 'p'. "Come on, we still need to do your make up." Evie says as she grabs her makeup bag and sits on her bed. "Can't I look at myself in the mirror first?" I ask. "No that will ruin the surprise." she says. I roll my eyes and sit next to her on the bed. Evie applies a tiny bit of foundation, some eyeshadow and now she is applying blush. "Easy on the blush. She doesn't want to scare him away." Mal says. "Not that I could." I say rolling my eyes. Mal lets out a small laugh. "Please. My mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes." she says as she continues. She finishes and puts the blush away. "My dad was never really big on makeup tips." I say and Mal and Evie let out a small laugh. Evie grabs a lipstick and puts some on her finger which she then starts to tap onto my lips. "And I never had a sister." I say. "Well, now you have two." Mal says. "We're gonna need all the family we can get if we don't pull this off. My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask Snow White." she says and she puts away the lipstick. "Are you afraid of her?" I ask her. "Sometimes." she says and she lets out a sigh. "Mal are you afraid of your mom?" I ask her as I turn my head towards her. "I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And... Yeah, she's my mom, so I know she loves me... In her own way." Mal says. "How about you?" she asks me. "Hmh." I say. "Are you afraid of your father?" she asks. "Ah. I don't know. I used to love him so much when I was younger, and now. I don't know, I haven't seen him in ten years, so I don't know what he's like. But I think he doesn't scare me that much." I say as I look at the floor feeling tears spring in my eyes. Every time I talk about my dad with my friend's tears spring into my eyes. I don't like lying to them, but I am still not ready to tell them that my father passed away. Even tho it was ten years ago. I loved him so much and then one day he was just gone and I was all alone in the world. Evie puts her hands on mine.
"Moving on. Come see." she says as she stands up. "Are we done?" I ask and I stand up with her. "Yeah." Evie says. Mal gets off of her bed and follows us. Evie steers me towards the mirror and as soon as I see myself I stop. My mouth falls open and then I laugh. I am wearing an off-shoulder, dark blue dress covered in lace. The sleeves end on the chest in a V shape. The top is form-fitting until the waist, where the skirt flutters out ending just below my knees. I open my mouth to speak but Evie raises a finger at me. "Uh, uh, wait. There is more." she says and she hands me a black leather jacket, a light purple scarf, and a pair of black heels. I put them on and look in the mirror again. It really ties everything together. The only thing that's a bit out of place is the light grey beanie that's covering my hair. "Wow." I say softly. Evie walks towards me and puts her hands on my shoulders. Then she puts her head on my right shoulder "I know." Evie says. "I look..." I say. Mal walks up to as and stands to my left. She grabs my left hand with her right. "Say it." she says as she looks me in the eyes through the mirror. "Not hideous." I say and let out a small laugh. "Not even close." she says and she smiles at me in the mirror. "You know what would make it look even prettier?" Evie asks. She pulls back her head and she raises her hand towards the top of my head and places it on my beanie. My eyes widen and my hands shut up to the edge of my beanie making sure it stays in place. I quickly spin around and Evie's hand falls to her side. Mal and Evie both have a frown on their faces and Mal crosses her arms. "Why won't u ever show us your hair?" Mal asks. I let my arms fall down to my sides and I fumble with the sleeves of my jacket. "Because it's weird, and I don't like that. I don't need people staring at me everywhere I go." I say. "Well, if you don't like it then why don't you do something about it." Mal asks. I sigh. "I've tried. I've been to Dizzy many times. We've tried coloring it, bleaching it, we even shaved my head once, but nothing works." I say and I look at the floor. "Hey." Evie says with a gentle voice. She steps forward and grabs both my hands. I look up at her. "It's not like your hair is vomit green right?" she asks. I give her a small smile. "No, but..."
"No buts." she says. "It's time for you to step out your shell and own it."
"Yeah, who cares what all of those people think? You've got us." Mal says as she takes a step forward and places her left hand on my arm. "We will have your back." she says. I sigh, maybe they're right. I mean there will come a time that I must face the fact that I can't be wearing that beanie for the rest of my life, so why can't that time be now? I look at the two windows. The curtains aren't drawn so sunlight shines into the room and onto me. I sigh again. Well while I'm at it I might as well show them the whole deal. I turn my head back towards them. They look at me expectingly. "You're right. I can't hide behind this beanie forever." I say. They smile and they take a step back sensing I need a bit of space. "Just promise you will tell me if you think it's awful." I say as I look at each of them. "Ow come on, it can't be that bad c-"
"No, Evie, just promise me." I interrupt her. They both nod. "Yeah, I promise." Evie says. "Okay, well here we go." I say. I take a deep breath and raise my right hand up to my head. I grab the top of the beanie. Mal and Evie lean a little bit forward. Then without another thought, I start to pull the beanie off of my head. I feel pieces of hair falling down onto the back of my neck, then onto my ear and then the beanie is no longer on my head but in my hands. As soon as my hair is out of the beanie and the sun shines on it, it begins to shine. I look at Evie and Mal and see the slight shine of my hair on their faces. They look at me wide-eyed and open-mouth. My eyes dart between the two of them and they don't say anything. "I knew it." I say and I start to put the beanie back on my head again. "It's beautiful." Evie says with a soft voice. "Uhu." Mal agrees. "Do you really think so?" I ask and they nod. They take a step towards me and they touch it. "It's so soft." Evie says. I smile. They like it. A weight seems to fall off my shoulders and a smile finds its way onto my face. "Why does it shine?" Mal asks. "I don't know, it's just been like that since I can remember. Whenever the sun hits it it just starts to shine." I say. "Cool." Mal says. "Oh, I have an idea." Evie says and she jumps up and down excitingly. "What is it?" I ask her. "Can I do your hair?" she asks. "Uh, ofcourse." I say. I look at Mal and she shrugs. Evie runs of and grabs a brush and an elastic. "Sit." she says as she points to a chair at the table. I sit down on the chair and Evie starts brushing my hair. Then she starts to braid my hair. When she is done she shoes me to the mirror. She grabs another mirror from her bag and holds it behind my head so I can see what she has done. She made two little braids that start at the front of my head and go towards the back of my head. At the back they come together and continue down as one braid. "Wouw Evie. Thank you." I say. "Just one more thing." she says. She takes the golden tiara that she is wearing of.  I spin around. "No, Evie. I can't take that." I say. "Why not?" she asks. "Because I am not a princess like you are." I say. "Yes you are." she says and she places the tiara on my head. She spins me around and makes me look at myself in the mirror. "I mean look at you. You are beautiful." she says and I smile. "And if it makes you fell better, I am pretty sure Ben thinks your his princess." she says. My eyes widen and the heat rises to my cheeks. Evie and Mal laugh at my reaction, but before I can scold them there are four knocks on the door. They stop laughing and Mal stands up. "Well, what are you waiting for?" Mal asks.
I walk towards the door. I take one deep breath and then I open the door. I look at him. He is wearing a blue button down tucked into white pants. He's wearing dark blue shoes and he wears his Auradon knight jacket. He has two helmets under his arms. I let out a sigh, he looks kinda hot. Ben just looks at me and opens his mouth to speak and then closes it again. "For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful." he says as he looks me up and down. I let out a small laugh. "I hope you like bikes." he says as he puts out one helmet. I step out of the dorm and take the helmet. He chuckles and I turn around and widen my eyes at my friends and then we walk away. We take the main entrance out of the school and we bump into no one, so that's great. "Did you know your hair shines in the sun?" Ben asks. "Yes, Ben. I am aware." I say and I smile at him. There is a scooter parked in front of the statue. He puts on his helmet, steps onto the scooter and starts it. I stand to the side of it, helmet in my hands. "It'll be fine. Just hold on tight." he says. I put on the helmet and sit behind him. He speeds away and I quickly grab him around the waist. "Ben!" I say and he laughs. We drive through the woods and it's really beautiful sight. I've been so busy on making a plan to get the wand that I haven't really taken the time to appreciate the beauty of Auradon. There is so much green!

~* *~
2244 words
(06/07/2020)