2. The Leather Apron

PUTTING ASIDE WHAT HAD had just transpired, I gathered quickly what I would need for the trip. I was sure to grab my copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as I did not want to miss out on an opportunity to have it autographed. As I made my way from my room into the hallway, I suddenly froze where I stood. I could have sworn for a moment that my shadow had somehow moved independently. It had been so long since I had seen the Shadow People, and I was terrified; but more so because for the first time, it was my own that had moved and this one wasn't scurrying away when I attempted to look at it, as they commonly did during the daylight.

    It began walking away from me and slowly turned a corner, perhaps with the intentions of keeping my fear at bay. I made a break for the stairs hoping to get as far as I could away from the disturbing phenomena but half-way down the stairwell, I stopped to wonder why my delusions had just now returned, in this pressing moment, of all times. Moreover, why would it move around the corner rather than staying with me? Was it trying to get me to follow it?

    Slowly I turned back. Reaching the top of the stairs, I peered down the hallway in search of the mysterious shadow, but there was no sign of it. The floor creaked as I stepped as carefully as I could, afraid of it jumping out at me from out of nowhere. Reaching the corner in which it had turned, I froze in my steps as I spotted the shadow at the end of the hall. It was standing next to a small silver urn sitting on an antique table. The shadow faded out of sight and as I gave my head a shake I noticed that it was once again attached to my feet.

    'What the bloody hell was that about?' I asked myself, trying to catch my breath. Cautiously making my way to the end of the hall, I surveyed the area for any sign of movement. As I held the urn in my hands, Edward appeared behind me.

    'The carriage awaits, Meric.' Startled by his voice, I struggled to maintain a grip on the ashes.

    'You alright, cousin? You look like you've been spooked by your own shadow.' He chuckled.

    'You have no idea.' I replied, my jaw still hanging in shock.

    'The carriage awaits... whose remains are those?' He pointed at the silver urn in my hands.

    'My mother's.'

    'Well, leave her in peace. We have a deadline, I'm sure she'd understand.'

    He turned to vacate the hallway, and I slipped the urn into my luggage. I had no idea why I did such a thing but I must have somehow sensed that at some point it would be important to have her with me. Knowing what I now know, I am certainly glad I took it.

    As I stepped up and into the carriage, I noticed that my father was sitting in the driver's seat. It was unusual for him to drive the carriage himself, but what I found even stranger was the arsenal of shotguns and swords he had set in a side compartment, within arm's reach and ready to use.

    As I climbed into the coach, I found Edward sitting across from me. He was stretched out lazily across the leather seat, and his feet were propped up and sticking out the window while he read one of his many books.

    'Are you sure this can't wait until morning? The sun has already begun to set.'

    'We ride throughout the night.' My father replied, overhearing my worry from the driver's seat. 'I'm afraid we cannot wait any longer.' His words muffled as the carriage began to move.

    'Why does Father have his entire hunting arsenal along with him?' Placing his feet on the floor of the coach Edward looked out the window, a sudden expression of worry upon his face. He leaned forward a little, dropping his voice to a hushed, secretive tone.