Chapter 10

1937, France

"France has always appealed to me," I said to my father, who is now carrying the gifts for my cousin Elizabeth's birthday.

"You sure have changed your thoughts on France." He said as we head towards the door.

Sighing, I spoke. "Not really. I just didn't want to sombre Elizabeth's birthday with my bitterness."

Putting it lightly makes dad less concerned. I didn't want to upset him or make him worry by telling him that from time to time, my injury still hurts.

Appreciating my selflessness, as he put it, he kissed my temple and we head inside. Being inside this lovely house made me think of the days I lived with them when I was still a ballerina.

Aunt Millie welcomed us with her arms stretched wide open. She kissed me on my cheeks first before kissing his younger brother's. "I am so happy you came!" She said, beaming at us. "Where's the youngest Sutton?" She said, looking over our shoulders.

My father chuckles. "He is not the youngest Sutton anymore, Millie but he's on his way."

She places her arms on his hips before speaking. "Well, he better not be late. I finally managed to find him a match so he could finally have a wife."

"Aunt Millie, do you know where I can find Liz?" I spoke.

"She's by the meadows, darling. I'm sure she's waiting for you."

I look at my dad, silently asking for his permission, and then he nodded. Luckily for my cousin Elizabeth, their house is located by the meadows separating their house from the forest.

I have always found myself loving every stroll within the forest, it's very soothing in a way that it helped me clear my mind after a stressful week of practising.

Elizabeth, who's now sitting by the bench overlooking the meadows, wearing her favourite yellow dress twirls her curly brown hair in her fingers as she stares at the wildflowers dancing with the wind. "Happy Birthday Lizzie," I said, making her twist her neck to glance at me.

A smile crept up on her face as she stood up and ran towards me. I was immediately enveloped in a bear hug. "I'm so glad you came!"

Looking at each other after pulling away, I smiled back at her and say, "Of course, I came. I can't live with your lifetime's worth of chastising because I missed your 17th birthday, you old goof."

She laughs, her blue eyes glowing as she does. "Of course! I would never let you off the hook." Living with them for years, Lizzie and I became best friends.

She may not have my grace in dancing or my affinity for history and language but she's a very talented pianist that not even I can compare. Although she taught me a thing or two, she simply just has the talent for it.

"Now, what mischievous activity should we carry out for your special day?" I asked.

Smirking, I can already tell she's about to ask me to do something devious with her. "Well, is abandoning my party and simply going out to the woods to pick up flowers devious enough for you?"

Shrugging I said, "Alright. Not as devious as I expected. You just wanted me to make you a flower crown anyway!"

As we head onto it, she nudges my arm and responded. "Of course! You always make the prettiest flower crowns and you must make your most majestic ones for me!"

Laughing, I said, "Alright then!"

As we search for flowers, Elizabeth and I catch up with our lives. "So how does it feel to constantly be on the move with Uncle Thomas?"