Chapter 3

Adeline's P. O. V

The hall was brightly lit by lamps, floating mid air. The stairs and walls were decorated with black and green ribbons, and you could spot house elves scurrying from one table to another, carrying plates bigger than they could handle. I liked them, these elves. Apart from brother, only martha, our house elf was good to me.
Rest all were either afraid to talk or thought of me as scum, like my parents.

Despite the decorations, the place looked gloomy to me. After all you could only see women in extravagant gowns gossiping and men in costly suits, bluffing about their wealth, and their devotion to dark arts, of course.

Every one looked towards us as we descended the stairs. The girls fawning over brother and the boys checking me out, those horny assholes.

" And you say only I think your beautiful ", brother whispered to me.

" And as I said , they are just checking me out".

We came down in the hall, where brother escorted me to the table my mother was sitting at. Guess how the atmosphere was there. Well you guess it right.

I think, it's a record, having the vainest women of the world sitting on one table. Diamond tiaras, silk gowns, purses that could cost you a fortune, all were present here.

" If this isn't little Miss Malfoy ".

Well of course this is Miss Malfoy, not little though lady.

" Hello Mrs Avery", I curtsied. "You look beautiful", as soon as I said it a very familiar expression crossed her face. You know it, smug .

" You don't look bad yourself. Dear Thomas would love it. I wonder where he is ?".

Oh I don't. Must be in a corner of my house, shagging some girl.

" Well yes Athena, your daughter looks lovely ", the most tolerable lady on the table said .Lyla Grey, my best friend's mother. Yes I do have a best friend. Andrew Grey, the only heir to one of the oldest Irish wizarding families. So naturally he passed my parents " Blood Status" test to be my friend.

" Pure Blood beauty, I would say. Anyone with it will be lovely", the least tolerable lady said. Walburga Black, of course. The biggest lady pure blood maniac. Well the fun part is that her own elder son is quite a rebel, breaking all traditions with a pure passion. Can't remember his name though.

A deep voice brings me out of my thoughts. I turn around to find, Thomas looking down at me.

" Would you like to dance with me, beautiful ", despite his pompous nature he can be quite charming, and the girl inside me liked that. Though the feminist didn't. But what do I get from hating him. He will be my husband one day, after all.

" Yes ", I slip my hand in his and he leads me to the dance floor. Placing one hand on my waist, he began our slow dance.

" You look pretty ".

" Thanks. You look handsome yourself", again a fake smile.

We danced quietly for quite some time. After which he went to get the drinks. I'm so confused when it comes to him. He shags random women, I know. But always respects my choice. Saves me from my parents now and then. But hates it when I talk to any boy, other than Andrew. He is good to me as a person but I don't like pure blood maniac and he is a big one. But what's the use, I will have to marry him.

I let out a sigh and opened my eyes just to find that I had wandered of to the garden, lost in my never ending thoughts.

I sat on a bench, looking at the stars.
I could spot the Orion constellation and there was one star which I didn't knew. The dog star or something.

" It's Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky ", a velvety voice said from beside me. I jerked around to find Narcissa Black sitting beside me.
She was what you could call a pure Slytherin beauty.

" Oh, I didn't knew", I smiled sheepishly.

" Quite hard for me to forget, my cousin is named after it ", she smiled sorrowfully as if remembering something bad.

I spotted Lucius entering the house through the gates some distance away. Smirking I said, " Do I need to ask what you and dear brother were doing here? ".

She blushed like anything. " Wait till you do something like this, I will tease you to death ".

My smile was gone as fast as it came.

" Not everyone has a life like yours, pretty girl. Beauty, love aren't my things ".I didn't like how I sounded, helpless.

Narcissa looked at me full in the eyes , clearly not happy with what I said.

" You are beautiful, and this is the last time I'm telling you this. Life ain't a bed of roses, I know. But you will find your knight in a shining armour one day. You will, I can bet it".

I sighed. That's the problem, exactly. I'm no princess and I don't need a tall, handsome man to protect me. I want to help myself. I just want a person who holds my hand and tells me that I can do it. But alas life ain't this simple.

And then at that very moment, it happened.

A huge jet of golden liquid hit bot of us. We swore simultaneously. The jet stopped, and I could spot a boy, my age probably,in fits of laughter in front of us.

In that drenched state I took a pledge.

I will kill him, with my bare hands.

Hello nerds. Hope you all are doing great, because I am not. I got this huge cut on my hand, and it hurts. 🥺. But being the griffindor I am, here the chapter is. Enough of self boasting.

Comment and tell me what you think . I will be waiting......

See you all in the next update. Until then, see you later alligators. 😉