Alt-J

I love this band. All three of their albums are absolutely incredible. I am only going to name a few of their songs; however, I suggest listening to basically all of them.

Albums:
1. An Awesome Wave (2012)
2. This Is All Yours (2014)
3. Relaxer (2017)

1.
Song 1: Breezeblocks
"Please don't go, I love you so."

The music video for this song is immaculate. It's reversed so from end to beginning. The video depicts a fight between husband and wife. This song is about murder, but you don't know that unless you pay attention to the lyrics. It's the ultimate sacrifice of love that leads to murder.

Basically the wife tied the daughter up and was going to drown her. The husband stopped it, and a fight ensued between them. In the end, the wife was the one who drowned. Someone actually flipped the video so it plays from beginning to end, and it's very cool to note how it feels different from the original video.

To me, it doesn't feel the same. The last minute of the song is the part that I especially love. "Please don't go. I love you so. I'll eat you whole." I always think of Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. Especially the "I'll eat you whole" because that is something that Max tells his mom in the beginning.

Song 2: Taro
"To Capa, to Capa Capa dark after nothing, re-united with his leg. And with you Taro, oh, oh, oh"

This song is so so beautiful. The song takes a whole new meaning especially when you know the backstory. It's about two photographers, Robert Capa and Gerda Taro, who were in love.

Taro became one of the first women in war photography which Capa was also in. Unfortunately in Barnett in 1937 she was killed during the Spanish Civil War. Capa went on to document the Spanish Civil War, but he was deeply saddened by the lost of his love. He was killed in the line of duty as a photographer in the West Indochina War in 1954. His vehicle exploded when he went over a line.

"Him five yards from his leg, from you Taro" is in reference to when he went over the mine. It is reported that he lost his leg before he died. Knowing the meaning and inspiration behind the song, brings a whole new definition to the song. It definitely enhances the beauty and elegance as well as the unfortunate end to their love.

2.
Song 3: Pusher
"If you are willing to wait for the love of your life. Please wait by the line."

This song is amazing too. It is definitely a softer song, so I would suggest turning up the volume. I think of the contrast in love, almost like a tug-a-rope. "Are you a pusher or are you a puller?"

It's almost about needing a woman or significant other to push you through life and through certain situations. The "we can hold hands for a pool length underwater" really gets me. It's that immense trust that you have in your partner.

Song 4: Every Other Freckle
"I want to share your mouthful. I want to do all the things your lungs do so well."

    This song is again about the relationship. It's more of the physical, lust filled side. He talks about all the things he wants to do. However, it's not as noticeable unless you pay attention.

It is interesting to note that this song has two separate music videos. The difference is that one stars a female while the other stars a male. It's more of a almost head-bop type of song.

3.
Song 5: 3WW
"I just want to love you in my own language."

Watch the music video. It's absolutely stunning yet terribly heart breaking. Once you've watched it, then read this. This is the video that is listed above.

The music video, for those who did not choose to watch it, it's this love story between these two people in this remote village. However, they cannot be together so they work with this older lady to devise a plan. The girl drinks or eats something that knocks her out for a few days. However, the town thinks she's died so it's time for the burial.

They carry her in the tomb into the mountains over all these rocky hills. Once night falls, the lover brings her carries her on a mule. Then at one point he carries the casket on his back. It then flashes to a slow-motion type action of him facing off some wild dogs.

We see the open tomb, and it flashes to the girl now dragging him. She puts the coins that were on her eyes onto his. This is a symbol of death. It's absolutely heart-breaking. The song on top really does the piece of cake. It's so soft and serene.

Song 6: House of the Rising Sun
"It's a happy happy happy happy fun day day."

I chose to highlight this song. It's a different rendition of The House of the Rising Sun by the Animals. It's a softer version, and some of the lyrics have been changed.

It is beautiful, regardless, in its own sense. It's feels more of a personal, first-hand experience which is different from the original. I think if you dissociate it from the original, it has its own vibe that really works for it.

Citation for Taro:
Thing, Post author    By. "The Meaning of the Song Taro by Alt-J." a Cool Thing I Learned Today, 13 Mar. 2017, www.acoolthingilearnedtoday.com/the-meaning-of-the-song-taro-by-alt-j/.