Seventeen

Donovan

I had been dreading this conversation. Avoiding it completely. It wasn't that I was naïve enough to think the problem would go away on its own, it was that things had been falling into place too perfectly for me to ruin. I thought I had been making the right decision by not telling her. But now, as I stood outside her front door, I feared the complete opposite.

Was it wrong of me to hide this from Edith before mating with her? Had I lied about who I truly was?

I tried to shake away the thought. Surely she would know that I had the best of intentions.

I rolled my eyes at that thought. Good intentions would never be a good enough excuse for my mate.

Mate.

I let out a loud sigh and adjusted my weight on my two feet. Even just thinking about the word was enough to give me a hard on. I pushed my misconstrued thoughts behind me and reached for the doorknob.

I was not surprised to discover that the door was locked. However, I was surprised to see the long line of booby traps that lead from Edith's front door down to the basement stairs. There were knives, oil spills, and death threats littered across the floor. Obviously I should not have waited until after my day's work to come talk to her about this. I gave the little minx too much time to prepare.

"Waving my white flag!" I shouted as I climbed down the railing of the stairs, careful not to touch anything toxic on my way down.

"What does that mean?" I heard Imogen whisper from the cold cellar.

I took a left and headed in the direction of Edith's quiet bitching. I knocked gently twice.

"Not a good time!" Imogen called back.

There was a loud smack and the pup whimpered.

"If you care about your life you should stay out there," Edith warned. "I can't promise I won't kill you if I see you"

"Then just listen," I begged.

Silence.

"Imogen, can we talk privately?"

The door opened a millimetre, just enough for me to wrench it open. Imogen bolted away as fast as she could in a frenzy of fur and fear. My life sat in the corner of the cold cellar, staring me down with eyes that could kill.

I took in her appearance. She was sitting cross legged, coming across as calm for a person who had hoped I would step on sharp objects on my way to see her. Her long black hair had been tossed over her right shoulder, a few loose strands tucked behind her left ear. Her plump lips were red like her cheeks were flushed. Her hands were tucked in her lap. I glanced just quickly enough at them to confirm that her claws were not out. All good things.

I was trying not to give her any signs of emotion but failed when I caught sight of that special little spot on her left shoulder. My heart swelled inside of my chest and my eyes glazed over. Oh, how I loved that mark. Seeing it hit me with a truckload of emotions and memories every single time. Memories of the firsts we had gone through together. The first time I saw her. The first time I touched her. When I marked her. The first time she realized what special things that mark could do.

Edith

"Get your mind out of the fucking gutter!" I spat at him, kicking my leg towards his face. He grabbed my foot and twisted my body to the ground as he bent down.

"What was I thinking about, hmm?" he hummed in my ear. I ignored the goosebumps that formed as I felt the rumble in his chest.

I didn't need to see him anymore to know exactly what he was thinking about. He was thinking about my mark, and all of the things he could do to me with it. It hadn't exactly come with an instruction manual; otherwise I might have made a different decision about it.

I sighed in defeat.

No, no I wouldn't have.

I had only had the mark for less than two weeks and already valued it more than the rest of my body. The fun side effects had started to show last Tuesday. I knew that I still had more to learn about it but had basically declared it as a self-destruct button for my ovaries. Every touch to it sent a wave of arousal straight through me, and there wasn't any minute in a day that he couldn't use it to get me in the mood. Seemed a little cruel of Mother Nature, in my opinion. However, I also had a few new tricks up my sleeve.

Donovan now had the ability to...sense me. With or without me, we shared a connection that was obviously intended for him to check in on me from a distance. He felt my strong feelings in himself in a way that let him know exactly when I was stressed, or scared, or fucking horny. Like he was making me right now.

"Your body can't lie to me, little wolf. It knows we belong together."

Donovan

Edith let out a small whimper that brought my semi-erect cock to full attention. As much as I enjoyed losing myself in her, it wasn't the right time or place. I sighed as I carefully let her foot down. Edith's composure seemed to drift away as I opened myself up for whatever verbal warfare she had been putting together. She turned to face me.

"What exactly does being together mean for me?"

"Everything and anything we want it to. You are mine, and I am yours. It goes both ways"

She scoffed and looked away for a long moment. I could feel the emotional waves going through her. I reached out to bring her face back to mine, a silent plea for her to let me into her mind.

"You say it like it means equality," she huffed, "Like I wasn't created for the sole purpose of being with you,"

My heart thumped loudly in my chest. I loved that she was able to see how intertwined we were. How everything about her matched perfectly to me. That didn't mean that I didn't notice the hidden punch.

"Why does that bother you?" I asked. "Do you think that makes you any less your own person?"

"You mean like somebody who isn't just a breeding object? Tell me honestly, do you expect me to stand behind you as you lead this pack? Do you see me and think of me as what you want for your luna?"

Hell on Earth.

I dropped without grace onto my backside and pulled her by her shoulders onto my lap. She relaxed into my arms as she had spent whole previous lifetimes there. Yes, I did know that she was made for me. That didn't mean that she was made to be less than somebody's equal. And there was nobody equal to an Alpha.

"I only want for you what you want for yourself," I told her honestly with a kiss to the top of her head.

She gifted me with a few moments of blissful silence before gently pushing off of my chest to look me in the eyes. She opened her mouth once and then closed it. The next time she started to speak, I knew it was going to hurt.

"I can't be that person, Donovan. I am nobody's second. I wasn't made to follow and encourage rules. I can't be the person a pack turns to for emotional support. I don't want to fill a home with pups to carry on a bloodline. I will never be a luna."

I will never be a luna.