Twelve

TWELVE - EDITH

I peeked one eye open and glanced down, shutting it right away again. I fucked up. I was lying in the Alpha's bed. It was so big it could fit three bears across and had sheets and pillowcases made only of silk. He was naked from the waist up with his back facing me, the lines of each muscle and bone perfectly carved.

I slowly slid off of the bed and padded towards the living room of his suite. I had never been inside his home like this before. He had a massive fireplace with two armchairs in front of it, a small table to the left of one where I assumed his meals were brought as for there was a tray on it that had enough food to feed an army. I briefly wondered if whoever brought it knew he had company.

Not that I was any special kind of company.

Nothing had...happened.

For me at least.

I glanced down at my attire. I was in the shirt he had been wearing the night before. His trousers were on the ground by his bed as they had been ruined by his massive orgasm in the middle of the woods. I shivered slightly at the memory. What on Earth had I been doing? He came all over me and dragged me back to his private home, cleaning me up and putting me in his shirt before passing out with no help in my department whatsoever. I glanced over at him in the bed, wondering what had happened that made him act the way he did. He kept saying "I need to try something" and I wanted to know what that meant. I would know. I would find out.

But first, I needed food. I curled up in the red armchair, nibbling on the platter of food for a bit before wandering further around the space. There were books everyone. Books opened, some ripped in half, some stacked nicely on his multiple bookshelves that went almost as high as the ceilings. I ran my fingers across the spines, noting that the freakshow had them in chronological order. Most of them were journals. I felt a pang of guilt in my stomach. These probably weren't intended for my viewing.

I didn't feel the need to flip through any of them until I fell across one that belonged to the previous Alpha, Donovan's father. There were things probably written about me in there. His reign of the pack had lasted over 50 years, he surely had noted some interesting things. Had he said anything of my mother and family?

I reached for the book but paused before flipping even the first page. Small noises coming from the bed made me turn around, looking over at him. He rolled onto his back and yawned like a kitten. He stretched his arms upwards and I nearly whimpered at the sight of each muscle flexing. My reaction caught his attention, his eyes flickering over in my direction. He rubbed his hand across his face and exhaled a deep breath.

I put a foot on the floor, testing for a reaction.

"I can leave" I suggested.

"Don't" he responded, looking over to me. He shoved himself into a seated position and threw his legs over the side of the bed. "We should talk"

"We don't need to. It's fine"

He cocked an eyebrow at me, slightly confused.

"Edith, I-"

I stood up and waved my hands to cut him off.

"Really, you don't need to explain anything. I...get it. It's fine. We're fine. I won't tell anyone anything"

I took a step towards the door and looked around for my clothes, slightly panicked. I had never ran out on someone the morning after before.

"No you will not tell anyone" he agreed, standing up fully this time. He took a few steps towards me and extended one arm, reaching for me.